Cigar - Apple Tree sap wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wmillman

wmillman

In my last post I mentioned the Apple Tree wood I got from my brother in law, and some of it was quite lite sap wood well I tried some of it on a Gun Metal Cigar kit and the results are pretty decent, 4 or 5 coats of Shellawax for the finish.

Attachments

• IMG_7977-E.jpg
    IMG_7977-E.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 146
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hubert H

Nice pen! Did you find the apple wood hard. I did one recently and looked up the Janka hardness. I was surprised - Apple is 1,730 lbs. and Red Oak is 1,290 lbs. I have turned several apple blanks and all of them were much harder than I would have thought before turning some.

wmillman

Nice pen! Did you find the apple wood hard. I did one recently and looked up the Janka hardness. I was surprised - Apple is 1,730 lbs. and Red Oak is 1,290 lbs. I have turned several apple blanks and all of them were much harder than I would have thought before turning some.
I didn't find overly hard Hubert but again this was the sap wood, and the Streamline I did which didn't include any sap wood may have been a bit harder but nothing like purple heart or some of the other exotic woods, haven't turned any oak for many months so hard to compare.

Top Bottom