Churchills and Random Segmented Cigars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jjjaworski

jjjaworski

Finished up a couple of Churchills with CA Finish. One in Figured Maple and one in a Maple Burl.
The random segmented Cigars with a wipe-on-poly finish.
Lost one of the cigars when I pressed in the coupler. It cracked the end of the blank because of grain orientation.

DSCN0588.jpg DSCN0589.jpg DSCN0591.jpg
DSCN0595.jpg DSCN0596.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@jjjaworski - Nice work !!

Sorry to hear you lost one of the cigars.

I like the random segmentation .... something I want to learn how to do.

With the Wipe-On Poly finish .... how do you apply that ? . How many coats ? . And how long does it take to dry.

jjjaworski

@jjjaworski - Nice work !!

Sorry to hear you lost one of the cigars.

I like the random segmentation .... something I want to learn how to do.

With the Wipe-On Poly finish .... how do you apply that ? . How many coats ? . And how long does it take to dry.
I did 5 coats of the wipe on poly. Takes a few hours to dry, especially here in the summer time when it is hot and dry.
I lightly sanded with 400 between coats and was keeping an eye on trying to fill pores.
I use a small plywood board with short lengths of 1/4 inch dowel to place them on to dry.
I also use these boards to keep track of barrels when making pens during all phases( turning,sanding,buffing,assembly)
I was in no hurry so I did it over several days since I was doing about 20 different barrels total for a bunch of different pens.
When it was dry, I knocked down the shine with 0000 steel wool and used some BriWax on it.
I like the soft finish.

I also think Mark James uses wipe on poly on a lot of his work. He may have some more insight in the process .

magpens

@jjjaworski

Thanks. . Do you use a brush to apply the Wipe-On Poly ?

Or do you "wipe it on" with a rag ( ? ) as the name might suggest ? :D

Top Bottom