Chuck for drilling blind holes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I was looking through Don Ward's book on modified Slimline pens. He has an interesting section on making a baseball bat pen. One end has a blind hole. He mentions a pin chuck which is shown in a photo or an expanding mandrel to turn the end part. A search came up with everything but what I needed. Any help is appreciated. These are unique pens. Should sell this spring at baseball season!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

PSI offers the Big Grabber closed end/expanding mandrel.
1670599991715.png

As to pin chucks - I made my own from a length of aluminum rod stock that I machined down to slip inside the tube of the pen I was making. You can machine aluminum on a wood lathe if you are patient and take your time. Carbide tools actually work better than HSS. After turning it to the proper diameter, file a flat on one side that is deep enough for the pin to fit between the flat and the outer diameter when it is placed at the center of the flat - that way, as the mandrel rotates, the pin will roll to the side and wedge between the surface of the flat and the inside of the pen tube, locking the pen blank to the mandrel. You can use a nail (cut off the head so that the diameter is uniform) or a length of coat-hanger wire for the pin - make several because they tend to get lost in the shavings under the lathe - DAMHIKT. Because it's merely a rod, you can mount it using either a scroll chuck or a collet chuck.

jttheclockman

Pin chucks are easy to make. I make my own from transfer punches I buy from Harbor Freight. The set is so inexpensive I have about 3 or 4 sets around the shop for various reasons. Here is a photo of mine. The pin is a finishing nail with the head cut off. I can make any size I need.
IMGP0816.JPG
IMGP0815.JPG

its_virgil

My favorite expanding mandrels already the ones sold by Arizonasilhouette.com if they are still available. A pin chuck will be less expensive. There should be a couple of closed end pen articles in the library here. One shows how to do the same with just a standard mandrel. Let me know and I can send you a link to the article in another location.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Woodchipper

Don, this was in your book with turning a baseball bat Slimline. Have a grandson who plays pro ball; birthday present.
FWIW, my grandson turned a pen and pencil set for his girlfriend. He did a great job. I'm thinking we will be doing more pens and moving to some other turnings.

monophoto

Looking at this thread again and need to know what is the collet chuck in JohnT.'s last photo called...formal name.
It's called a collet chuck. The chuck in John's picture is different from the PSI and CSUSA version - on theirs, the collet nut is knurled, while John's is smooth. Otherwise, they are the same. Here's the picture from the PSI web site (less the 'tommy bars' used to tighten the retaining nut).

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 245.jpg
    ScreenHunter 245.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 42
Top Bottom