Chromoly Pentel Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dehn0045

Dehn0045

This is my first attempt at a modified pentel Pencil (well, actually it's the second attempt but we won't discuss the first). I have been wanting to make a Pentel Pencil for a coworker that uses one daily. He likes the 0.7mm because he is a little heavy handed. I figured a 4130 chromoly would do the trick. I still have to tune up the finish a little, but couldn't wait to share it. Turns out he is retiring in a couple of months, so this will be his retirement gift from me.

PSX_20210130_215911.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

very good lines. What do you intend to polish it up with please?
I just used 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper and it came out pretty good. My surface finish off the tool wasn't very good and I was running out of room to keep trying so resorted to sandpaper. Still have to remove a little material where the finish was roughest, but figured I'll be able to get a pretty mirrored finish with 2000 grit. Might try some buffing compound.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Cool pencil. I have never tried chromoly as I heard it was particularly difficult to machine. Did you start with a tube or solid rod? Can you dismantle it so you can finish the finish?

Dehn0045

Cool pencil. I have never tried chromoly as I heard it was particularly difficult to machine. Did you start with a tube or solid rod? Can you dismantle it so you can finish the finish?

I am about as green as you can get when it comes to machining, but it definitely was a lot more grabby than other materials. Finish would be looking pretty good then all of a sudden it would turn to crap. My use of carbide insert tools probably wasn't the best choice, but again I still have a lot to learn.

I started with thick wall 3/8 tube with 0.125" ID. This allowed me to machine the pentel body without any inserts. Even with the pilot hole, drilling the 4.3" hole was a bit of an adventures, but I'm certain that the pilot hole made it much easier. Disassembly is a snap, just unthread the tip and pull the body out of the back side.

Curly

Nice work but my concern would be the speed at which it will rust. Are you going to coat it with lacquer or something or do a gun blue of some kind?

Dehn0045

Nice work but my concern would be the speed at which it will rust. Are you going to coat it with lacquer or something or do a gun blue of some kind?
I was thinking that a polished finish with wax would be sufficient. Since the Pentel is so easy to disassemble it wouldn't be a problem to hit it with some steel wool every so often. I plan to make myself a pen to carry for a few months and see how it performs. If I have to do something then I'll probably go the gun blue route with future 4130 endeavors.

Dehn0045

The brass version was MUCH easier. Probably should've worked out the kinks with brass or aluminum. But then again, maybe testing myself with the chromoly just made the brass seem easier...
PSX_20210203_212855.jpg

Top Bottom