Christmas present

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ohiococonut

ohiococonut

I'm still around and lurk just about every day but haven't made many pens in the last few months. Around this time last year I got interested in CNC woodworking. Feb. of this year I took the plunge and bought a CNC router. It's definitely been a learning experience with the software. G Code wasn't too much of a problem but learning the programs and what they're capable of is still a work in progress and I'm having a blast.

Anyway, I had a few pieces of crotch walnut and wasn't sure what to do with it until I bought the scallop design and decided to make my wife a little box for Christmas. I think she was pleased with it. This box is made from crotch walnut and maple. and measures approx. 7-1/2"w x 6-1/2"l x 3-1/2"h

ScallopBoxCrotchWalnut_zps5d719a1b.jpg

ScallopBoxOpen_zpsa364501c.jpg

ScallopBoxLid_zps82e266b5.jpg

The pics are cell phone pics and the artificial light doesn't show the woods true beauty but I thought I'd share anyway.

I've been making coat racks, plaques/signs boxes, etc. Most of what I've made I've just given away but if the demand keeps up someone's going to have to pay for some of this wood since most of it is exotic.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ohiococonut

Thanks!

Forgot to mention it's finshed with 6 coats of tung oil and the carving lines in the lid were intentional. They're meant to simulate the segments in a real scallop.

ohiococonut

comben001, I bought the Shark Pro Plus HD, sold through Rockler.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments :) She DID like it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom