Christmas Ornaments...a little advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbarton22

sbarton22

I was trying to make a Christmas ornament....you know, the standard squatty little ball shape with a long finial type of ornament. I was making it out of cherry, and I immediately understood why they need to be hollowed.

Can someone give me just a touch of advice as to how one goes about hollowing it? Is there a mini set of hollowing tools out there? I couldn't get any of my hollowing tools in there to make hay.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

I'm not sure about small hollowing tools. But the easiest way with tools you have would be to cut the ball in half, hollow each half and glue it back together. You will need to turn a tenon on one half and an internal recess on the other for best results.

lorbay

I was trying to make a Christmas ornament....you know, the standard squatty little ball shape with a long finial type of ornament. I was making it out of cherry, and I immediately understood why they need to be hollowed.

Can someone give me just a touch of advice as to how one goes about hollowing it? Is there a mini set of hollowing tools out there? I couldn't get any of my hollowing tools in there to make hay.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Yes you can, I made mine out of drill rod and mounted a small piece of 1/8" HSS in the end. I made one straight and one on an angle. Something like this only drilling a hole in the drill rod.
Robert Sorby Straight Shank Multi-Tip Hollowing Tool | Hand Tools | Craft Supplies USA.

Lin.

sbarton22

Nice ideas.

The cut in half idea could yield some interesting results.

I have a swan neck hollower, but that straight shank is a great idea.

I don't understand the allen key idea...I guess I would need to turn a handle?

underdog

I made mine out of Hex keys also.

You will have to make a handle out of some scrap wood, and make a ferule out of some brass or copper pipe fittings.

I would also strongly advise putting a bend in it to create the swan neck. Heat it with a Mapp gas torch if you have one, otherwise you can use a propane torch, but it takes longer.

If you don't, the right angle tool that catches inside an ornament will have the mechanical advantage on you. I once had one catch and pinched my finger between the rest and the tool.

I leaked quite a bit before I put a bandage over it. :redface:

Rob73

Last year what I did was drill a small hole in the center and then hollowed out with my small round carbide. It worked fairly well. However, I still had wood left up on top as you can't get a good angle in there. It's made me want a hollowing tool for sure but I may try that allen wrench Idea. I've heard it before but just can't picture it being very stable. I keep thinking it's going to bend easily.

sbarton22

Last year what I did was drill a small hole in the center and then hollowed out with my small round carbide. It worked fairly well. However, I still had wood left up on top as you can't get a good angle in there. It's made me want a hollowing tool for sure but I may try that allen wrench Idea. I've heard it before but just can't picture it being very stable. I keep thinking it's going to bend easily.

I like cheating...I also started with a forstner bit. I just couldn't remove enough material to lighten the ball enough.

I'm going to start with a small set of hollowing tools... but this allen key business has me really interested.

underdog

Here's what I use:

Attachments

• AllenKeyHollower.jpg
    AllenKeyHollower.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 173

its_virgil

If interesgted in making your own tools then here is a good start.
Hilton Handcraft - Tiny Hollowing

Doing a google search on homemade lathe hollowing tools will get you lots of info. Change the search string to include words like small, mini, etc to find what you need.

There is also lots info on turning Christmas ornaments. So some searching and you will find all the info you would ever want..including videos. Someone mentioned inside out ornaments. Search for them also. Good luck and have fun .
Do a good turn daily!
Don

sbarton22

If interesgted in making your own tools then here is a good start.
Hilton Handcraft - Tiny Hollowing

Doing a google search on homemade lathe hollowing tools will get you lots of info. Change the search string to include words like small, mini, etc to find what you need.

There is also lots info on turning Christmas ornaments. So some searching and you will find all the info you would ever want..including videos. Someone mentioned inside out ornaments. Search for them also. Good luck and have fun .
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Great link!

underdog

Here's what I use:

Looking at your lathe, that is exactly the way I was making mine. What finish do you use one the part that is left once you finish the parting cut?

I don't normally finish the globe/icicle type ornament on the lathe. I put the thing together first, then shoot it with some laquer.

I do, however, make a jam chuck, turn the thing around and sand the backside after parting off. The ornament you see here is the cap of an acorn style birdhouse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom