Christmas Ornament

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Every year I make an ornament for my daughter for Christmas. Here's the one I just finished up for this year. This go around I went with Holly, Magnolia, and Spalted Amboyna Burl. It's sitting nicely on the mantel. Thanks for looking!

DSC03691 (452x700).jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Thanks everyone! I was really happy with out this one came out. Much nicer than last years which was my very first ornament.

Nice!

Hey isn't your daughter only 1? ;-)

lol..she's around 15mo now but this will be her 2nd Christmas :biggrin:. We're excited about this years bc Ayden is much more attentive to what's going on so she'll be excited to get her presents.

Excellent ornament. Did you hollow out the center piece?

Thanks John! It's hollowed out a little bit, but it's not very heavy wood to begin with.

How about some dimensions for the heirloom JB?
By the way...it rocks!!

Thanks Jim! Top to bottom it's around 6.5". The main body is 2.5" in diameter and the bottom finial is close to 4". It WAS longer than that and more delicate but it snapped it....and then snapped my tool :tongue:

The cool thing is that I can take it all apart for storage. All the pieces are just friction fit and not glued.

Brooks803

Nicely done!!!

What kind of finish did you use?
Connected with tenons?

Scott (that mantle will be full one day) B

Thanks Scott,
No finish really. Just sanded up to 800grit with EEE paste wax on the sandpaper. Then a gentle buff on the lathe with a clean rag.

Yeah all the connections are with tenons. The main body with the magnolia and holly are glued together but the amboyna pieces are really snug so they just pop in and out. Didn't glue those bc I know I'll have a storage issue in the years to come with this tradition so I wanted to be able to dismantle them.

BSea

Very cool Jonathon. Those will mean so much to her when she's older. Home made traditions are the best.

How old will she be when there's a pony under the tree?:biggrin:

Top Bottom