Christmas gift put to work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

One of the items I received for Christmas was a three piece set of Bird's Mouth carbide cutters, also know as glue joint cutters. They allow you to cut a 6-8-12-or 16 sided container perfectly every time once properly set up.( about a 1/2 hour plus several trial cuts and fittings ). I couldn't wait to try these cutters out !! The case I have made here is 8-sided using Walnut, Maple and mahogany segmented sections. The case is truly all wood including hinges and clasp, and the Bird's Mouth joints can be clearly seen in the case open photo. Appliques are scroll sawed designs by Pat Spielman, hand carved, and sanded to give dimension. Small Walnut feet added, finished with clear lacquer, and a felt bottom liner added. I modified the cutting order of the boards by cutting two joints, one on each of four of the boards, and none on the other four. this allowed me to segment the Walnut onto the ends of the four uncut boards without having to worry about the angles. Again, the case could be fitted with any number of different configurations for the interior, and made into different sizes and shapes by changing the length of the boards as the angles will always stay the same. Sorry for poor quality photos, haven't used photo setup in a while !! Jim S

Attachments

• DSCN0871 (800x583).jpg
    DSCN0871 (800x583).jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN0872 (800x593).jpg
    DSCN0872 (800x593).jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN0873 (800x719).jpg
    DSCN0873 (800x719).jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN0874 (734x800).jpg
    DSCN0874 (734x800).jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN0875 (800x565).jpg
    DSCN0875 (800x565).jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Jim

Very nice work all around. Great use of wood choice. Lots going on with these boxes. Pulled together well. Thanks for showing. I love seeing the different wooden projects people come up with.

plantman

Very nice indeed ! . Thanks for showing ! . I learned something from your thread.

Mal; Thank you for your kinds words. That is the greatest complement one can receive. The fact that you came away with some sort of enlightenment after reading my thread. :rolleyes: Jim S

plantman

Hi Jim, well done on the boxes, they look fantastic. Incidentally, did you make them on Christmas day, or did you wait until BOXing Day?:biggrin:

Dave.

DAVE; We had overnight guests Christmas Eve and day, so it wasn't until everyone left Christmas day that I could go into the shop to setup and cut my boards. We don't have Boxing Day in the USA, because the household servants and craftsman are also known as the home owners and tax payers. Jim S

Hawkdave

Hi Jim, well done on the boxes, they look fantastic. Incidentally, did you make them on Christmas day, or did you wait until BOXing Day?:biggrin:

Dave.

DAVE; We had overnight guests Christmas Eve and day, so it wasn't until everyone left Christmas day that I could go into the shop to setup and cut my boards. We don't have Boxing Day in the USA, because the household servants and craftsman are also known as the home owners and tax payers. Jim S

I'll put that one in the box for future reference Jim.

Cheers mate.

Dave

Top Bottom