Christmas Gift for my Father-in-law (kitless fountain pen)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jontello

Jontello

This is a pen for my father-in-law for Christmas. Last year he had given me some ironwood from a toy boat that was brought back from Indonesia, all made out of ironwood from when he was younger. The neat thing about it is that my father-in-law grew up in Indonesia because his parents were missionaries to a jungle tribe there. It is always neat to hear about their crazy stories of gorillas, monkeys, and pythons in the jungle. This is a pen to remind him of those times. That is why I chose the Conway Stewart Pistachio because it reminds me of the jungle where they lived and paired with the ironwood I think it's perfect. This will be a piece that is passed down. I loved making it and know it will be cherished.

Now to the technical side of the pen. It was challenging as it needed to be sleeved in the barrel and did not allow a ton of play in thickness in material. Also, due to having to sleeve it, it made putting in the ink window a challenge is now there was no room for error. All in all I think it turned out great. It is fitted with a number 6 Bock nib and a stainless steel clip. Here are some pics of the finished pen.

Thanks for looking,

Jon

20EA044A-3E4A-48BC-8E07-DB247BAD7075.jpeg

3C1ECD21-CC63-4F03-A7F0-294FD31012FC.jpeg
BB39A3D3-897C-420E-87F0-E23205D4086C.jpeg
65E519AB-FDDD-4335-A80A-AD6AFDCA1CD4.jpeg
025E693D-AF8F-45BF-8312-25F1EA317923.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is one sweet pen Jon. And I love the history it carries with it. The combination of materials is unique, but it works very nicely. The profile is excellent, and I appreciate that the threads are recessed and not at the edge of the upper section.

Many years ago when I used to do white water kayaking I had the opportunity to chat with an excellent kayaker who did several "virgin river runs" (never done before) in Indonesia with world class boaters. He said there were no sick people in the dense jungle... As he explained, there was no medicine, you got sick, you died. We do not appreciate enough the efforts and fortitude of the early missionaries and explorers.

I suspect this pen will be a cherished heirloom. Well done!

Top Bottom