Christmas Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

Literally. Nearly finished this box for my wife. She might put all the pens that she has snaffled in it. IMG_0222.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Nice. I really need to build a few boxes myself, but I haven't started yet. I suppose I will start with Pine or something so I can get some practice before I jump into nice hard woods. Very cool box - and a cool use for it as well! - Dave

jttheclockman

I like it. Nice proportions. I too need to carve some time out for some box making. Having seen a few here lately has given me the bug to try a few. I like breaking things up and doing different projects. Right now I am doing many casting of pens and it has been fun it just maybe time to take a break from that. Boxes maybe the thing. Thanks for showing. I am sure she will love it.

EricRN

Thanks for giving me a good laugh.
The finish came out alright. I did the Japanese sho sugi ban finish on ash. What I wish was better was that the holes weren't as clean as I would have liked. Wife was still happy with it though. She is much more forgiving than I am in terms of defects/quality.
IMG_3250.jpeg

Burnpile

Very nice box, I like the legs and the inlay top. I've been making what I call keepsake boxes for a while now and was given a piece of Spalted Ambrosia Maple. The legs and the lid are from Claro Walnut. It's currently in inventory because I'm running out of family, friends and charities to give things to.

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpeg
    IMG_3938.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3936.jpeg
    IMG_3936.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 34

KenB259

That is beautiful. I enjoy making boxes. Boxes are a woodworking project that may appear simple, but they have to be precise. I think I have learned the most about woodworking from making boxes. Yours is really nice and I'm betting it will be treasured.

Alan Morrison

The finish came out alright. I did the Japanese sho sugi ban finish on ash. What I wish was better was that the holes weren't as clean as I would have liked. Wife was still happy with it though. She is much more forgiving than I am in terms of defects/quality.
View attachment 365281
There's nothing wrong with that at all, Eric. I laughed because I thought you were just giving her a pot. I like the Shou sugi ban treatment.
I did a wee bit in the past with dyed timber. It's very effective.

Alan Morrison

Very nice box, I like the legs and the inlay top. I've been making what I call keepsake boxes for a while now and was given a piece of Spalted Ambrosia Maple. The legs and the lid are from Claro Walnut. It's currently in inventory because I'm running out of family, friends and charities to give things to.
I like your box.
On my to do list is a pen presentation box that can be used subsequently as a keepsake box. Yours fits the bill.

Alan Morrison

That is beautiful. I enjoy making boxes. Boxes are a woodworking project that may appear simple, but they have to be precise. I think I have learned the most about woodworking from making boxes. Yours is really nice and I'm betting it will be treasured.
Thanks Ken. Yes, it seems that the smaller the object the more noticeable the errors.
I had a neighbour came today with a large plank of Mahogany that he got after tearing out a fireplace on a job. I now have a mahogany keepsake box to make for his wife after he saw my box.

jttheclockman

Pen boxes. Yes lets see them!! I really need to get back into doing woodworking of that nature again. It would be a way of eating up some of that lumber I have sitting around. This way the family can get rid of projects more easily when the time comes. Need to get those creative juices flowing again. I have had a pen box sitting in my brain for a long time that I want to make for my brother along with a special pen. It will be my way of thanking him for all the years of helping me with my craft shows. Does not look like I will be returning to the circuit any more.

Alan, mahogany is some of the nicest wood to work with so I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Alan Morrison

Pen boxes. Yes lets see them!! I really need to get back into doing woodworking of that nature again. It would be a way of eating up some of that lumber I have sitting around. This way the family can get rid of projects more easily when the time comes. Need to get those creative juices flowing again. I have had a pen box sitting in my brain for a long time that I want to make for my brother along with a special pen. It will be my way of thanking him for all the years of helping me with my craft shows. Does not look like I will be returning to the circuit any more.

Alan, mahogany is some of the nicest wood to work with so I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Yes indeed, John. I will be making some more boxes in the new year, especially as I have a friendly tree surgeon neighbour supplying timber.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with as well...I've seen some of your lovely box creations in the archives.
In the meantime, have a great Christmas and a healthy 2024, John.

jttheclockman

Yes indeed, John. I will be making some more boxes in the new year, especially as I have a friendly tree surgeon neighbour supplying timber.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with as well...I've seen some of your lovely box creations in the archives.
In the meantime, have a great Christmas and a healthy 2024, John.
Same to you my friend.

Top Bottom