Chosing a dye for PR.......?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I purchased a quart of PR resin (I love those 40% off coupons from Michaels) just to play around with, and I have some liquid dye that I have used on a few epoxy casts I have done in the past (playing around with leftover catalyzed epoxy at work, I love freebees).

But if I get the casting bug as I suspect I will, I will be wanting to buy a plethora of dyes.

Am I right in assuming that there are liquid AND powder dyes (not pigments-- but dyes)? Where would I get the powder dyes?

Is Artstuf resin dye a powder or liquid? I have asked them and got no response.

sbell111

Artstuf resin dye is a liquid (It comes in pints and gallons).

As far as coloring your PR, you have many, many options. I've used these resin dyes, powdered artist pigments, pearl ex powder, and some other stuff that I can't think of right now.

its_virgil

http://www.artstuf.com aka Douglas and Sturgess Art Supply has dyes in smaller amounts. I've purchased in 1/2 oz and 2 oz.They have liquid and powder. Mixol Universal tints, India Ink, dry tempra paint, and acrylic pigment are some other sources. Be aware that these dyes can effect the curing time and/or the amount of catalyst needed. I've had some colors that never cured. A Douglas and Sturgess rep told me that universal colorants used by paint stores will work but my success with them was not satisfactory. Maybe I should have played with them some more. I discovered casting snake skins and put the dyes on the shelf. Maybe I'll see if they are still good someday.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by sbell111

Artstuf resin dye is a liquid (It comes in pints and gallons).

As far as coloring your PR, you have many, many options. I've used these resin dyes, powdered artist pigments, pearl ex powder, and some other stuff that I can't think of right now.

sbell111

Originally posted by its_virgil
Originally posted by sbell111
Artstuf resin dye is a liquid (It comes in pints and gallons). ...
http://www.artstuf.com aka Douglas and Sturgess Art Supply has dyes in smaller amounts. I've purchased in 1/2 oz and 2 oz. ...
Ha!

I wasn't suggesting that the resin dye only came in pints and gallons. I was commenting that I knew it was a liquid because they used liquid measures.

Top Bottom