Choosing Burls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I love the finished look. Very unique. The burl blanks that I used so far are from grab bags or BOB's. I have no idea what they are. I'd like to know if you randomly pick your burl blanks ...look for a specific burl or like to experiment with burls you never used before. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I'm a bit of a wood junkie, so the stranger the better for me. But in reality some of the more common domestic burls are the best. Maple/poplar/claro/black ash (getting less common)/buckeye/box elder all can be fantastic. I have some small pieces of Texas ebony burl that is probably the most oddball burl that I have. I have chittum and redbud are a couple of domestics that are still on my wish list.

WriteON

I am bored. (not really). I need an excuse to buy stabilized burl. I need more blanks like a snail needs airbrakes. Should I or shouldn't I ? I think I'll flip a coin. Heads I buy..tails I buy. ok thanks for your support everyone,

WriteON

Too late...cannot talk me out of anything. Ordered made. Confirm button pushed. Can't be canceled. No return.

Dehn0045

Going to be a lot more burl sellers than burl buyers in the coming weeks, consequence of 30 million unemployed. Already seeing a lot of pretty steep discounts, guys thinning out their collections. Unfortunately I'm no longer a buyer, but thankfully not a seller yet -- but I still browse the web for deals. Here's an eBay find from today, looks like some good HRB, at that price the olive blanks are free: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283860080067 (in case you decide to flip a coin again and it comes up heads or tails)

Top Bottom