Cholla with various kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

Some more Cholla experiments, and some different kit choices.

Sierra Grip w/red - the red fill continues to be my favorite. This was for a female doctor. Pretty sweet. I continue to really like how classy the Sierra Grip is whenever I do one.

Jr. Gent w/black - this was for a female bank exec. It looks a bit nicer in person than the photo. The black invokes an animal pattern feel I think, and she wears alot of black, so I'm happy with how this turned out.

Zen w/orange - while I really like how the zen works with the cholla, the fill here turned out disappointing. It looked bright orange when I poured it, but really paled out when it turned. Still makes for an interesting pen, but a repeat I will not try. Gotta do another zen cholla with a better color.

Gearshift w/red - close enough to a checkered flag to make this work, I think.

Bolt action w/black - went with black on this after seeing the "animal" feel of the Jr. Gent above, and I think it works.

Next up on my list is to try a purple and a green (not together).

Attachments

• UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8660.jpg
    UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8660.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 236
  • UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8664.jpg
    UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8664.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 234
  • UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8669.jpg
    UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8669.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 241
  • UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8672.jpg
    UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8672.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 239
  • UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8680.jpg
    UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8680.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 236
  • UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8694.jpg
    UnderwoodPens-Cholla-8694.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

They all look good Roy. Curious are you casting the blank in resin and then drilling the proper hole for your tube or drilling, tubing and then filling the voids with resin?

budnder

I've been filling with resin to create a solid mass, then turning it round between centers, then drilling that and gluing a tube in. The cholla I've got is fairly fragile - I'm pretty sure it would break or get crushed if I tried to hold it somehow to drill it before it was resin filled.

To fill with Allumilite, I've just been using painters tape (two layers in different directions) around the cholla and then 1.5 inches on the top above the end of the cholla so I can overfill it. That overfill will find it's way into the cholla when it gets into the pressure pot and some trapped air is forced up. My success rate is about 60% on the couple of batches I've done - about 4 out of 10 don't get filled completely. They either leak out of the tape somewhere, or there wasn't enough overfill and there was some cholla at the top that didn't get filled. Even on those "failures" I usually can get a Sierra length out of it anyway.

OZturner

Great Group Of Cholla Pens, Roy.
For me the Gearshift in Red Definitely take the Checkered Flag.
I think the Cholla definitely needs a colour to Pop right out
Excellent Fit and Finish,
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom