Cholla Cactus Woman's Bracelet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BangleGuy

BangleGuy

Here are some pictures from my latest project making a woman's bangle (bracelet) from a alumilite cast piece of cholla and a stainless steel metal core. I started with a 4 in cast cholla puck that I purchased from a fellow who sells it for turkey calls. I then used hole saws to cut the bangle blank, bored the ID to size, cut to width and glued the blank onto the core for support. After curing, I roughed the OD to size, filled some voids with CA and then began the same CA finish technique used on pens.

Comments and Critiques welcome. Thanks for looking.
Eric

Attachments

• tn_Cholla 1.jpg
    tn_Cholla 1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 838
  • tn_Cholla 2u.jpg
    tn_Cholla 2u.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 756
  • tn_cholla 3.jpg
    tn_cholla 3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 768
  • tn_Cholla 4.jpg
    tn_Cholla 4.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 625
  • tn_Cholla 3a.jpg
    tn_Cholla 3a.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 979
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Beautiful work ! Ive never seen one on a metal core before, but love it! This is another reason why Im glad my wife doesnt visit this place on her own. So many " musts" on the
" to try" list. Mine would suffer poorly in comparison to yours. Lol. Thanks for sharing!

BangleGuy

Beautiful work ! Ive never seen one on a metal core before, but love it! This is another reason why Im glad my wife doesnt visit this place on her own. So many " musts" on the
" to try" list. Mine would suffer poorly in comparison to yours. Lol. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks John! Making a bangle is very similar to making a pen, pretty straight forward once you have made a few. I have a brown alumilite puck I am working on now.

robutacion

Wow, this is a heck of a nice piece and execution...!

What gets me is that, I keep going from pic 3 to pic 4 a dozen times, and still I can't get how the metal insert was added to the piece, considering that the metal piece looks to be one piece and the sides are a lot higher than the centre where the cholla cactus was inserted in...???

OK, that may be your secret and I would respect that but still, puzzles me as the cactus material will have no "elasticity" to be pushed over, no way Jose...!!!:eek:

Anyway, the cast is very impressive as the end result is nothing short of specular, well done...!:wink:

Cheers
George

BangleGuy

What gets me is that, I keep going from pic 3 to pic 4 a dozen times, and still I can't get how the metal insert was added to the piece, considering that the metal piece looks to be one piece and the sides are a lot higher than the centre where the cholla cactus was inserted in...???

OK, that may be your secret and I would respect that but still, puzzles me as the cactus material will have no "elasticity" to be pushed over, no way Jose...!!!:eek:

Anyway, the cast is very impressive as the end result is nothing short of specular, well done...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Thanks George! There isn't anything tricky here, my metal cores are simply made in two parts and pressed together around the wood blank. The wood insert ends up being about .08" thick, which reduces the overall weight. Wood stabilization is really key to keeping the wood from expanding due to humidity.

Oh, hey I just remembered that I just got some Red Mallee, Coolibah and Gimlet burl this week to make more exotic bangles. All from down under :) Great stuff you grow there!!

robutacion

Cheers
George

Thanks George! There isn't anything tricky here, my metal cores are simply made in two parts and pressed together around the wood blank. The wood insert ends up being about .08" thick, which reduces the overall weight. Wood stabilization is really key to keeping the wood from expanding due to humidity.

Oh, hey I just remembered that I just got some Red Mallee, Coolibah and Gimlet burl this week to make more exotic bangles. All from down under :) Great stuff you grow there!!

Oh...!, so that is how its done, huh...??? makes sense, but being so well joint, was invisible to me on on the pic so, great job there...!

Oh yeah, down under has lots of great woods, it happens that a have a "few" of them, from this area...!:wink::biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom