choice of tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobk_nyc

Hi guys. i have a few tools, of dubious quality. i have budgeted some $$$ to buy a few good tools. for pen making, is it a good to have any special tools? or should i just look for a quality set...i have bought a 8 inch grinder, and am getting good wheels, so i have that covered...

thanks for any input...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

What would like to replace or add? Do plan on doing anything else with these tools besides penturning? It looks like you have some fun tool shopping ahead of you!

bobk_nyc

What would like to replace or add? Do plan on doing anything else with these tools besides penturning? It looks like you have some fun tool shopping ahead of you!

i will be messing with small bowls, or maybe platters, but the lathe is only 12 inch, no outboard. so mothing massive...but at this time my focus is on pens, i bought a bunch of kits back in the 90's and am finally going to get to them...hahaha long story.

Joey-Nieves

Well in my experience good is better than dubious anytime. So this is my 2cents;
Chucks

• NOva
  • Onway
  • EWT (if you got money)
Gouges

• EWT for carbide
  • Sorby
Grinding

• Wolvering system
  • CBN wheels
I buy the carbide inserts and make most of my gauges, I use 2 Supernova 2 chucks and Midi chuck all nova so I can share the jaws.
As for HSS Gauges more important that the brand is the steel so you can find good gauges and good price.

Pen turning:
3 mandrels, one sized for only one tube, and 2 sized regular, 1 for turning 1 for finishing.
Mandrel saver-note you can use the mandrel with the treads on the inside so you can use the mandrel as short as possible.
1 60 deg dead center
1 60 deg live center for turning pens between centers
pen press

Boy what a wish list

Joey

bobk_nyc

i do have a set that came with the lathe, but they seem to be crap, i am not oposed to spending to get decent tools. i do not really get along with crap tools.

TonyL

I don't know if u r using carbide...but my turning improved greatly and (sanding reduced) when I switched to HSS and learned how to sharpen using a CBN wheel.

bobk_nyc

Well in my experience good is better than dubious anytime. So this is my 2cents;
Chucks

• NOva
  • Onway
  • EWT (if you got money)
Gouges

• EWT for carbide
  • Sorby
Grinding

• Wolvering system
  • CBN wheels
I buy the carbide inserts and make most of my gauges, I use 2 Supernova 2 chucks and Midi chuck all nova so I can share the jaws.
As for HSS Gauges more important that the brand is the steel so you can find good gauges and good price.

Pen turning:
3 mandrels, one sized for only one tube, and 2 sized regular, 1 for turning 1 for finishing.
Mandrel saver-note you can use the mandrel with the treads on the inside so you can use the mandrel as short as possible.
1 60 deg dead center
pen press

Boy what a wish list

Joey

i have the oneway talon, and am planing to ad the oneway jig to the grinder...i have a tormek that i use for carving tools, but that will stay in that shop. i have been looking at the CBN wheels, and that is a possibility, i want to do a little more research, and see how people like them...woodcraft, has several, and even one on clearnce for $139. that is good, if it will fit my machine. have to email them...

what would i use a dead center for? oe live one for that matter?

mecompco

The dead center goes in the Morse taper of your head stock, it provides the "drive". The live center goes in Morse taper of the tail stock and spins on bearings. Both have 60 degree points. They let you turn w/o a mandrel, and you can turn any piece of material between them. To go along with them, a set of center drills would be helpful (drills a shallow hole at 60 degrees and there are four of five popular sizes for different size material).

Regards,
Michael

PS You can turn a couple pieces of wood to fit the Morse tapers of your lathe to use the lathe as a pen press--seems to work well and no cost.

Last edited:

bobk_nyc

The dead center goes in the Morse taper of your head stock, it provides the "drive". The live center goes in Morse taper of the tail stock and spins on bearings. Both have 60 degree points. They let you turn w/o a mandrel, and you can turn any piece of material between them. To go along with them, a set of center drills would be helpful (drills a shallow hole at 60 degrees and there are four of five popular sizes for different size material).

Regards,
Michael

PS You can turn a couple pieces of wood to fit the Morse tapers of your lathe to use the lathe as a pen press--seems to work well and no cost.

i get it, that sounds like a good option to have...thanks.

Wildman

A dead center can go in head or tail stock depending upon what you are turning. Here is an example of an inexpensive dead center. Can find them with HHS or carbide tip.

Grizzly.com® --

A drive center normally comes with your lathe and goes in the headstock only. They come in 2 & 4 prong/spur variety. Can used them for turning spindles, and rough turning bowls or hollow forms before chucking or mounting on a faceplate.

A live center goes in the tailstock and has bearings! Used for turning spindles (pens)between centers or providing support for bowl & hollow form turning.

For better tools recommend shopping sales or look for 10 or more percent if buy more than one tool. Been doing business with these vendors for over twenty years. If call toll free 1- 800- 683-8876 Packard Woodworks they will send you a free catalog. This will give you pretty good idea on how much tools cost.

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source
Pen Making, Bowl Turning, Wood Lathes, Wood Blanks, and Turning Tools for Woodturners | Craft Supplies USA

Always recommend buying only individual tools vice tool sets. Think conventional turning tools give you a bigger bang for the bucks because can resharpen as often as need too. Carbide tools also have their place but like already posted can always make your own.

Wildman

You have a vendor selling Ashley iles tool there in NY, don't think they give a discount if buy more than one tool at a time or on sets unless runing a sale!

nativewooder

Doug Thompson at Thompson Lathe Tools makes the best gouges, etc., in the entire field of manufacturers. Prices and quality are the best! You can make your own handles (no big deal) or you can purchase some of the handles on his site. Check his prices against any quotes you get! Talk to Doug himself if he's at the shop and not too busy and he will help to customize your order for what you actually need. It is money well spent! A happy customer!:biggrin:

Barry L Elder

BSea

I don't know if u r using carbide...but my turning improved greatly and (sanding reduced) when I switched to HSS and learned how to sharpen using a CBN wheel.
Ditto!

And learn to use a skew. A sharp skew in the hands of someone who knows at least the basics will make things easier and faster. IMHO, an oval skew is easier to use, but harder to sharpen, and a flat skew is a little harder to use, but easier to sharpen.

Joey-Nieves

Chucks

• NOva
  • Onway
  • EWT (if you got money)
Gouges

• EWT for carbide
  • Sorby
Grinding

• Wolvering system
  • CBN wheels

Pen turning:
1 60 deg dead center
pen press

Boy what a wish list

Joey

i have the oneway talon, and am planing to ad the oneway jig to the grinder...i have a tormek that i use for carving tools, but that will stay in that shop. i have been looking at the CBN wheels, and that is a possibility, i want to do a little more research, and see how people like them...woodcraft, has several, and even one on clearnce for $139. that is good, if it will fit my machine. have to email them...

I had the opportunity to use one at CSUSA Last summer and they are awesome, They take a little practice plus you cant use them with carbide because they chemically react and they'll be ruined.
I saw them fairly priced at Diamond Grinding Wheels | CBN Grinding Wheels | Diamond Sharpening Wheels.
but there could be even better some where. As for the size the bigger the better because the more flatter the edge will be. Remember the bigger the diameter of a circle the smaller wil be the curvature of a section.
As for oneway I would love to have one but I have the supernova and would have to buy new jaws, so that's why I stick with them, and truthfully mine work very well, but then again one way is oneway!

Top Bottom