Chisel (PSI)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I think that tool will do the job as long as you take very light cuts. .
I have not used that particular chisel but I have used similar that have carbide cutters and I like them fine.

You will notice a different "feel" and you will have to get used to that ....
I suggest you turn a couple of blanks from square to round for starters in order get used to the new cutting tool. .

Be sure to take very light cuts. .
Carbide cutters will NOT do a good job if you try to take the deeper cuts that you are used to doing with HSS chisels.

Don't believe all the sales "hype" in the PSI listing for that tool.

TonyL

Frank, try to find it if it will accept inserts from AZ Carbide and the like.
Separately, I own a Magic Skew. It is very well made, but can't get the hang of it despite using HSS skews and carbide all the time. I also have flat and round tool rest and I still can't get the hang of it. Many love it. I am still trying.

I also had a BB oval skew and current have a Sorbey oval skew. I know longer worry about repeatable angles or marking it with a colored marker. I sharpen it free-hand on a CBN wheel and love it. Many surface to make nice cuts. I am sure I am prematurely reducing its live, but i am ok with that as long as it cuts well.

WriteON

Frank, try to find it if it will accept inserts from AZ Carbide and the like.
Separately, I own a Magic Skew. It is very well made, but can't get the hang of it despite using HSS skews and carbide all the time. I also have flat and round tool rest and I still can't get the hang of it. Many love it. I am still trying.

I also had a BB oval skew and current have a Sorbey oval skew. I know longer worry about repeatable angles or marking it with a colored marker. I sharpen it free-hand on a CBN wheel and love it. Many surface to make nice cuts. I am sure I am prematurely reducing its live, but i am ok with that as long as it cuts well.
Hi. Tony. How ya doin. I'm with you on getting used to working with that chisel. I'm not going to try. There is no substitute for a Sorby or BB. I'm away from my primary shop and chisel-less. As for repeatable angles. Only thing I repeat is lunch//dinner.

TonyL

Hi. Tony. How ya doin. I'm with you on getting used to working with that chisel. I'm not going to try. There is no substitute for a Sorby or BB. I'm away from my primary shop and chisel-less. As for repeatable angles. Only thing I repeat is lunch//dinner.
Ounce I stopped going crazy over "prefect" angles, I started enjoying turning and sharpening a lot more. I still use the robo rest etc., but for the oval skews, I just slap it on the cbn wheel or card and turn away. I bought a nice CBN card (actual more like a deck of cards in terms of thickness) from Dway. Be well my friend! PS. I also have the Trend credit card version, but Prager the heavier Dway "card"

Top Bottom