Chisel Organization and Storage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JonathanF1968

Hey all,

I'm super pleased with a recent Ebay purchase of some turning tools, attached. I really just wanted the larger gauge, but the whole lot was just $25, and I'm glad to have it all. It's from a turner who passed away. He made his own handles, which I think are gorgeous, and kept the tools really nice shape. His presence will be felt as I use these guys. He was clearly a better turner than I am, and I'm hoping I'll have his spirit on my shoulder as I find my way.

These long-handled tools are a new size for my shop, and I am interested in seeing how you all store your chisels. I asked a related question once before, generally about shop organization, and it yielded some good exchanges of ideas. Here's that thread:

Specifically, now: what good ideas do you have for storing your chisels? As usual, photos are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4336.jpg
    IMG_4336.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 355
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here's what I use - I found the basic box (back, top, & sides) by the dumpster of a cabinet shop a few years ago and thought it might work for tool storage. I added a base with casters, the shelves, cleats, & magnetic strips.

I have two lathes, so I can position it next to whichever one I'm using or roll it out of the way when I don't need it.

It's about 56" tall (with casters), 6" deep, and 21" wide. If I were building it from scratch, I would have made it a little wider, but this works fine for me for now.

47968196-EEAE-4DC9-A519-EA8A427DDE81.jpeg

PBorowick

Here is what I built. The brackets for the chisels are Berkeley rod holders that I had extra. The board is mounted on a dual monitor display stand that I got for free. I like it because I can move it around as needed. Although I will be moving it to the left end of the bench. I don't like reaching over my work to grab a chisel. Granted, I don't have the lathe running when I do reach over but I still don't like it.

Attachments

• 20200304_213726.jpg
    20200304_213726.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 214

TonyL

I bought a few fishing pole holders with the rubber/stryo in the grooves. I have about 3 installed and another 2 or 3 still in the box. However, I seem to "like" storing them under whatever lathe I am using. The hunt of finding the right chisel is part of the thrill. Seriously. I like this fishing pole holders.
I also had the bright idea of making these nice holes in my lathes stands. It was a great idea until I dropped something, bent down and hit my head on the points..I don't do that any more. I also bought a lathe bed attachment that looks real nice, but the chisels don't stay in the slots.

Something like these, but Walmart sold the for about $6

I like what others have done above.

LukesHill

In fact, I would not spend money on tools or parts from ebay or amazon because it is the most unprofitable. I tried to buy parts and I tried to buy tools and the quality was just awful and it was impossible to work with such equipment. I just got so tired of it that I decided to tell you about this so that you do not waste as much nerves as I do. I somehow bought nuts from an online retailer and my locker just fell apart in front of my eyes due to terrible fasteners ... After that I began to study the reviews and think about how can I change it and came across nut bolt manufacturers in Mumbai. I contacted these guys and they sent me a batch of goods. After that I was shocked because I was amazed at the quality of their product and their approach to work. Thank you for listening to me and I am always glad to share my experience.

egnald

Greetings - I constructed a tool holder that is attached to one side of my lathe table. I used 2-inch PVC Pipe with a plug on the bottom. I cut the tops on a bias for aesthetics I guess. Using the foam insulating "tubes" intended to keep water lines from sweating or hot water lines from loosing heat too quickly, I fashioned inner tubes cut to the right length as to keep the handles of my tools at the right height when they are dropped into the tubes. I essentially glued them together to make them into a single chunk and the whole thing is screwed to my lathe table. So far it has been working quite well for me.

Regards,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG
    450.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1661.JPG
    IMG_1661.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 126

jjjaworski

Greetings - I constructed a tool holder that is attached to one side of my lathe table. I used 2-inch PVC Pipe with a plug on the bottom. I cut the tops on a bias for aesthetics I guess. Using the foam insulating "tubes" intended to keep water lines from sweating or hot water lines from loosing heat too quickly, I fashioned inner tubes cut to the right length as to keep the handles of my tools at the right height when they are dropped into the tubes. I essentially glued them together to make them into a single chunk and the whole thing is screwed to my lathe table. So far it has been working quite well for me.

Regards,
Dave
I like this idea. Very clever.

jjjaworski

I have made a couple of years ago this very easy rack.
It's maybe not the prettiest,but works like a dream!
Just bought a 3 meter Pvc pipe and cut both sides to 45 degrees so it's easy to take the chisels out.
Found the idea/design on Pinterest if I'm not mistaken
.View attachment 234658
Simple and effective. I may have to re-think my setup for tools. I just have so many :)

Top Bottom