Chipouts near blank end?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

Hi folks, for some reason my 'end squaring tool' caused small chipouts right at the end of the blank when I was squaring up the end of the blank to the brass tube. I can admit that I was being a bit too aggressive. Nevertheless, I have a couple of areas on the end of the blanks where the brass tube shows.
Is there any way I can fill that? Is it possible to make a paste of CA and "acrylic dust"?
thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You can certainly make a paste with Epoxy and "acrylic dust".

Using CA would be dicey, IMO. . I think it would solidify before you got it fully mixed and in position.

carlmorrell

The last time I had damage that exposed the tube, I painted the tube, and put on layers of CA.

Are you squaring after you turn? I square the ends before turning. If I need cleanup, usually from glue at the end, I use sandpaper on a flat surface.

Chasboy1

The last time I had damage that exposed the tube, I painted the tube, and put on layers of CA.

Are you squaring after you turn? I square the ends before turning. If I need cleanup, usually from glue at the end, I use sandpaper on a flat surface.
No, I square before.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Pen mills can work great when they are very sharp. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to sharpen the "blades" and keep them exactly equal length to each other, so the tool begins to break more than it helps.

Some "sharpening service" guys do a masterful job--use them or use a sandpaper system to square the ends.

Top Bottom