Chicagoland IAP Chapter - June Recap / August Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

June Meeting Recap:

From what I hear I missed a great meeting. The meeting featured Greg Bonier with his casting and stabilizing session. Based on the comments on Facebook and the pictures it looks like we had another great turnout and a lot of follow up. Thanks Greg for the fantastic session.

Additionally I hear we had Easy Wood Woodturning tools out for some conversations. Thanks for stopping by. I have a set of the mid-size and large tools and really like them. Recently I got a set of the micro-tools. I think they are perfect for pen turning. So perfect that my wife tried them and now I cannot get them out of her hands.

And finally thanks to Ed Brown from ExoticBlanks for filling in. It is great to have all this talent in the Chicago club. Thanks all (and Rockler).

MPG (Midwest Penturners Gathering)
Big (and I mean BIG news) – MPG is coming to Chicagoland next year. We will be part of a three city rotation. At the August meeting I will have much more in the way of details, but this is great for the symposium. Those who have "been around" long enough will remember Cozee (Greg Cozad) starting the Midwest Penturners Gathering (MPG) about a decade ago in Urbana, Illinois. After four years, Low48 (Rich Coers) continued the tradition in a super-human single-handed presentation for another four years. Then, the Ohio IAP contingent volunteered and the event was moved to Wadsworth Ohio for the last four years. The event has seen tremendous growth over all these years. From a few hours at a union hall to a three day event in a fantastic hotel. Great demonstrations, vendors, and new activities. Most importantly great friendships, conversations, and sharing of ideas.

Now is the time to take the next step. Starting next year the Midwest Pen Turners Gathering will rotate host cities to better serve the pen turning community. We are considering a three city rotation. The first new location up is Chicagoland. Look for dates and times to be announced over the next few weeks. Chicago offers a nice central location for many turning clubs and will be ready to continue the direction the founders have started. The thought is that each city will have its local club facilitate the event, but keep in coordination with the other host cities to maintain consistency.

The nucleus of the Chicago team is Ed Brown, John Underhill, and Mark Dreyer, but we know we will be asking for volunteers to help out. If you have any suggestions or would like to volunteer let any of us know – the earlier the better. We look forward to keeping the quality of the event that the teams in front of us have started.

I think this will be great for the pen turning community and offer more opportunity for all of us to get together and get involved.

Another topic were symposiums. Here is my break down:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn-On! Chicago

URL: Turn-On! Chicago 2016 - Symposium Home

Friday - Sunday
August 3 - 5, 2018

The Conference Center At
University of Saint Mary of the Lake
1000 E. Maple Avenue
Mundelein, IL 60060

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August Meeting (6/23/18):

It will feature Terry showing us how he makes the Serpentine pen blanks he is known for. Another can't miss.

The List For 2018
We will meet the third Saturday of every even month (except June – the fourth Saturday).

February 17 – Don (Cholla Cactus)
April 21 – Chris (Beal Pen Wizard)
June 23 – Greg (Casting and Stabilization)
August 18 – Terry (Serpentine)
October 20 – Ed Brown (Marketing For Pens)
December 15

All meetings are from 10 am - 1 pm
139 South Weber Road
Bolingbrook, IL 60490

December (2018) Christmas Challenge:
A total of $25 (kit and blank). Make the best pen you can, and the winner gets the glory (and the prizes). I encourage to use some technique you either learned or were inspiried to try. We will vote as a group. This year's winner was a nice watch parts pen.

Demo Challenge
Each month we will have a new challenge.

Blank Exchange:
Is back - so bring a few to trade.

Tips and Tricks:
Please bring your tips and tricks for all of us to share and learn. Last month we had a few but always looking for more. Even if small – it might be something someone else is struggling with.

Show and Tell:
Please bring any pens you either loved making and just want to show off / are having trouble with a techniques and want help / want feedback on / or just want to put on a table. This will be an open forum to help each other. You will find two things out – one helping others is fun and two you know more than you think you do and others will benefit.

Looking for demonstrators and / or topics. If you have any interest in doing a demo email me. Also if you have suggestions for a demo you would like to see email me back.

Thanks,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

Only 10 days away. I am looking forward to this meeting, hopefully some of the pen turners I talked to at Turn On! Chicago (and our Indiana friends) will come out.

See you there ...

greenacres2

I'm planning on getting there, but will have to hustle back to Indiana--my wife is singing the National Anthem at the South Bend Cubs game that day. I'm not going to miss that!! Don't have to be there until 5:00 CDT, but that doesn't leave time for any traffic issues.
earl

Howdy Jan

I'm planning on getting there, but will have to hustle back to Indiana--my wife is singing the National Anthem at the South Bend Cubs game that day. I'm not going to miss that!! Don't have to be there until 5:00 CDT, but that doesn't leave time for any traffic issues.
earl

How did the anthem go?

Go Cubs!!

greenacres2

earl

How did the anthem go?

Go Cubs!!

The Anthem was AWESOME!! We took some friends and their 8th grade son, and Sue's sister, nephew (Joe, he's been with me at the last 2 meetings) and his girlfriend were with us too. The 8th grader and I were able to go out on the field with her--near the tunnel. Great time!!

Hated to miss the meeting, but as I thought about it Saturday morning I only had a 45 minute cushion if i'd stayed until 1:00--and 90 minutes on the expressway can easily get MUCH longer!! It was the right decision--since it was too late to learn to fly a helicopter!!
earl

Top Bottom