Chicagoland Chapter - October - IAP Collection And Mark James Chevron Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

August Meeting Recap:
Thanks to Don McCloskey for the demo. Don went over his techniques for making a 4 section and 8 section celtic knot. Both are great segmenting techniques and make your work stand out from the others. Thanks. Also had a lot of conversation and tips from Dick Sing. Thanks.

October Meeting (October 14):
I am very happy that IAP Collection Curator - Mark James will attend all the way from Ohio - thanks Mark. Mark bring the IAP Collection (which I see inducted the 52 pen at the last MPG) and do a presentation. Sincerely if you have not seen some of these pens - you will be amazed. Mark will also give a demo on how to make the Chevron Blanks. This is another great technique and I really like the look of these blanks. Chris has volunteered to do a 15 minute demo on lathe maintenance.

Other Meeting Dates:
December 16 - Cannot wait to announce this demonstrator - Will be fun

All meetings are from 10 am - 1 pm

139 South Weber Road
Bolingbrook, IL 60490

Demo Challenge:
Each month we will have a new challenge. Since this month was celtic knot - you need to try it. Best knot pen wins the "big" prize again - which includes at least getting your name mentioned in this email.

Blank Exchange:
Sorry we were not well prepared for this, so those that exchanged on your own I appreciate it. Sorry.

Tips and Tricks:
Please bring your tips and tricks for all of us to share and learn. Last month we had a few but always looking for more. Even if small – it might be something someone else is struggling with.

Show and Tell:
Please bring any pens you either loved making and just want to show off / are having trouble with a techniques and want help / want feedback on / or just want to put on a table. This will be an open forum to help each other. You will find two things out – one helping others is fun and two you know more than you think you do and others will benefit.

Christmas Challenge:
Not to early to start on this one. A total of $25 (kit and blank). Make the best pen you can, and the winner gets the glory (and the prizes). I encourge to use some technique you either learned or were inspiried to try.

Looking for demonstrators (I have volunteers for December and February) and / or topics. If you have any interest in doing a demo email me. Also if you have suggestions for a demo you would like to see email me back.

Thanks,
Mark

We had a few people I need to thank for the last meeting:

Rockler – thanks for donating the facility and the gift cards
Door Prizes - Kallenshaan Woods (kallenshaanwoods.com)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I had planned on driving over for this one--finally. But...I won passes for a pumpkin patch/corn maze near South Bend so my son and his family are coming down for the day. Not that I wouldn't prefer to meet Mark in person over my 2 and 4 year old grandkids!! :)

Hope to see you all in December!!
earl

mg_dreyer

Hope to see everyone there - this Saturday - for another great event. Mark James is coming from Ohio with the IAP collection and then will be giving a demo on his chevron blanks.

And don't forget the challenge.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Had a great time yesterday! I'll add pictures tomorrow (just a couple, but I and the IAP Collection was there!!!).

The Chicago Chapter is doing well! Great members, great host Chapter and Rockler Store (and I love the city!! - In spite of of 6" of rain and traffic that was... :eek:).

Mark Dreyer is doing a wonderful job getting this Chapter started! I hope to visit for about 1/2 of their meetings, as I visit two adult sons.

Got to chat with Dick Sing - yes, I was in awe... He was very gracious with my limited skill level and knowledge. (Thank you Dick!).

Just a random comment... In my travels (and the miles have piled up), the best of the best in woodturning/penturning, are eagerly looking/welcoming anyone they can teach on what they know/can do. This is not a "closed community," they want to leave their skills, techniques, and knowledge to others who will use it to further the craft. This is only my impression.

But, back home earlier today. Unpacking, getting ready for the Ohio Chapter mtg this Saturday. Then bribe folks for MPG demos in 2018, then... sleep...

JohnU

Thanks Again Mark James! I had a great time and your demo was very informing and enjoyable. Glad you got home safely and didn't need a row boat! Also, Thanks for bringing the IAP Collection! Pictures are great but its nothing like holding those little gems in your hands and really soaking it all in.

As you said in your post.. Mark Dreyer is doing a great job organizing and getting the chapter started. We have a great group of people and I'm happy to say I've made some new friends. We are very lucky to have some local talent and celebrities like Dick Sing. He is a wealth of knowledge that shares so many tips and tricks of the trade. I'm pretty sure he forgets more than I will ever know.

Mark at ROCKLER has been VERY nice to us giving us a place to meet and tools to use, as well as the gift cards donated for door prizes. All of their associates have been nothing but friendly and helpful, even when you hang out for more than two hours after the meeting just talking. (lol) It was good catching up Mark Dreyer. Thank you my friend.

For all of you in the area who haven't made a meeting, your missing a great time, and if your not one to remember names, just call them Mark. Your chances are pretty high that you'll get it right. :)

Looking forward to seeing you all at future meetings!

mg_dreyer

Mark (James) the demo was great. Just wanted to let you know I received a few emails from members yesterday telling me how they are enjoying the club and demos. As I told John after he demoed figuring this out has been easy - I simply look for demos of thing I want to learn (just kidding). Thank you for coming all the way out.

The one thing I can agree with more than anything is how open the community is. Leaning from others is great. Some of the best take-aways also come from the questions and answers section. People just talking and sharing experiences.

If you enjoyed talking with Dick Sing - watch this board for the next demo. I think it will be a nice "surprise".

And John - it was a blast talking for the hours after the meeting. I don't believe we left to around 4.

Once again thanks Mark (James) and Mark from Rockler.

shorty2204

I had a great time last weekend at our meeting. Now i need to make a few Chevrons to enter in December. I can't wait.

Thanks Mark James for demoing and Thanks Mark Dreyer for putting all these meetings together.

Top Bottom