Chicagoland Chapter - December Meeting - You Want To Be Here For This One

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

October Meeting Recap (October 14):

The October meeting was a blast, incredibly inspirational and informative. IAP Collection Curator - Mark James attended all the way from Ohio - thanks Mark. Mark brought the IAP Collection and went piece by piece on many of the pens. Great look at the evolution and techniques being used. Also drove home the point that sometimes a simple, committed to craftsmanship pen is all that it takes. After the presentation Mark went over the chevron blanks he makes – leaving nothing out. Perfect step by step. Thanks Mark – it was appreciated.

December Meeting (December 16):

We could not ask for more. Dick Sing, author of 9 books on turning and to me one of the pioneers of pen turning will be on hand to demo a technique and talk. Dick has been with the Chicago club all year and it will be a pleasure to have him present. I know Dick has presented worldwide on many turning topics, I have personally seen him at symposiums, and if you have ever used the "Father Sing" pen kit from Craft Supplies – you will be happy to meet the designer.

All meetings are from 10 am - 1 pm
139 South Weber Road
Bolingbrook, IL 60490

December Christmas Challenge:
A total of $25 (kit and blank). Make the best pen you can, and the winner gets the glory (and the prizes). I encourge to use some technique you either learned or were inspiried to try. We will vote as a group. Use some of the inspiration for Mark's IAP pen collection.

Demo Challenge (change due to the Christmas challenge):
Each month we will have a new challenge. This month there is a change. Since this month was chevron - you need to try it – but not until February. Best pen wins the "big" prize again - which includes at least getting your name mentioned in this email.

Blank Exchange:
Is back - so bring a few to trade.

Tips and Tricks:
Please bring your tips and tricks for all of us to share and learn. Last month we had a few but always looking for more. Even if small – it might be something someone else is struggling with.

Show and Tell:
Please bring any pens you either loved making and just want to show off / are having trouble with a techniques and want help / want feedback on / or just want to put on a table. This will be an open forum to help each other. You will find two things out – one helping others is fun and two you know more than you think you do and others will benefit.

Looking for demonstrators and / or topics. If you have any interest in doing a demo email me. Also if you have suggestions for a demo you would like to see email me back.

Thanks,
Mark

We had a few people I need to thank for the last meeting:

Rockler – thanks for donating the facility and the gift cards
Door Prizes - Kallenshaan Woods (kallenshaanwoods.com)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

Just a quick reminder this is only a few weeks away. Don't forget the Christmas contest - make a pen all in for less than $25. And Dick Sing doing a presentation. Hope to see every one there.

greenacres2

Hoping to make this meeting--finally. If work, weather, pen orders, family, God and Country all fall together in alignment with the stars...I might make it!!

Not that i'd be a winner, but on the $25 limit for blank & hardware--is that retail or what we paid?? I've managed to squeeze a few deals that were well below retail!!

earl

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm sad to have to miss this meeting, but I'm hosting the Ohio Chapter, so it just won't work out.

Have fun folks.

mg_dreyer

Earl,

Anything close is good. Use what you paid if you want. I am fine with that. I just want to encourage people to make pens. Look forward to what you make.

Mark

mg_dreyer

Hope to see everyone Saturday - and for those of you on the Rockler mailing list I would consider bringing the 20% off coupon. Just sayin ...

Top Bottom