Chicagoland Chapter - April Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

February Meeting Recap:

Another great meeting and great attendance. We have been averaging over 40 people, but with the line-ups we have had I can see why. February featured Don McCloskey. Don explained how to create the Cholla Cactus blank in detail. Also how to turn it and alternatives to using acrylic in the making of the blank. I expect to a lot of pens next month for the challenge.

Another topic were symposiums. Here is my break down:

MPG (Midwest Penturners Gathering)

URL: THE MIDWEST PENTURNERS GATHERING - HOME
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MidwestPenturnersGathering

The 11th Annual Midwest Penturners Gathering
May 18-20, 2018
Comfort Inn & Suites
5 Park Center Drive
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn-On! Chicago

URL: Turn-On! Chicago 2016 - Symposium Home

Friday - Sunday
August 3 - 5, 2018

The Conference Center At
University of Saint Mary of the Lake
1000 E. Maple Avenue
Mundelein, IL 60060

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAW Portland

URL: American Association of Woodturners

The American Association of Woodturners
32nd Annual International Symposium
Oregon Convention Center
777 NE Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd
Portland, OR 97232
June 14-17, 2018
We will talk about MPG this month to see if anyone wants to car pool.

April Meeting (4/21/18):

Chris will be talking about his experience with the Beal Pen Wizard. The Pen Wizard is a stand-alone ornamental lathe especially developed to create novel and interesting patterns on pens and pencils. I think Chris is just starting so it will be fun to see how this is progressing.

The List For 2018
We will meet the third Saturday of every even month.

February 17 – Don (Cholla Cactus)
April 21 – Chris (Beal Pen Wizard)
June 23 – Greg (Casting and Stabilization)
August 18 – Terry (Serpentine)
October 20 – TBD
December 15

All meetings are from 10 am - 1 pm
139 South Weber Road
Bolingbrook, IL 60490

December (2018) Christmas Challenge:
A total of $25 (kit and blank). Make the best pen you can, and the winner gets the glory (and the prizes). I encourge to use some technique you either learned or were inspiried to try. We will vote as a group. This year's winner was a nice watch parts pen.

Demo Challenge
Each month we will have a new challenge. This month is Cholla Cactus. Best pen wins the "big" prize again - which includes at least getting your name mentioned in this email. Sarah won last month.

Blank Exchange (thanks Sarah for running it):
Is back - so bring a few to trade.

Tips and Tricks:
Please bring your tips and tricks for all of us to share and learn. Last month we had a few but always looking for more. Even if small – it might be something someone else is struggling with.

Show and Tell:
Please bring any pens you either loved making and just want to show off / are having trouble with a techniques and want help / want feedback on / or just want to put on a table. This will be an open forum to help each other. You will find two things out – one helping others is fun and two you know more than you think you do and others will benefit.

Looking for demonstrators and / or topics. If you have any interest in doing a demo email me. Also if you have suggestions for a demo you would like to see email me back.

Thanks,
Mark

We had a few people I need to thank for the last meeting:

Rockler – thanks for donating the facility and the gift cards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

One additional thing I forgot to mention:

After the April meeting we will be doing some turning. Pens For Troops. Rockler offered up the lathes so if your schedule permits please stay and turn a pen for the donation.

mg_dreyer

We should have approximately 40 pen kits available for the turning for troops. I am waiting on the package and will prep all the blanks.

Thanks,
Mark

JohnU

Hey Mark I sent out a flat rate package to you with some tubes blanks and kits for the meeting if others have time to turn them for the troops. I don't think I'll make the meeting so I turned a few pens for the troops as well and tossed them in with the other stuff. "Thank You" to you and Rockler for organizing and allowing this to happen.

greenacres2

Looks like i'll finally make it--driving the 70 miles or so, pick up our nephew to bring him. Won't be able to stay much after as I have to drive back over with my wife on Sunday morning for the nephew's Eagle Scout ceremony. Up to now he's never turned anything to my knowledge, but has made me a few blanks and itches to make pens. He doesn't know it yet (and don't spoil it Saturday) but thanks to his mom and some folks on this forum, he may be turning on Sunday afternoon!!

Looking forward to my first session--364 days after turning my first pen!!
earl

greenacres2

I wanted to take a minute to thank all responsible for today's meeting. Don't know whether to give the biggest thanks of all to Mark D for running the show, Chris for his demo and coaching our nephew through turning his first two blanks, or Shorty for making sure lunch arrived for those of us hanging out at the end. All were good.

Looking forward to my next trip out.
earl

mg_dreyer

Earl,

Glad you could make it out and hope to see you and your nephew at the next few meetings. I always have fun attending myself. Chris' demo was very good and I had fun with turning for the troops.

Top Bottom