Chicago Shedd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Beautiful Downtown Chicago, our first visit into the actual downtown district. It's actually very nice and spectacular down there, although I have not visited that many of the most major cities in the USA, I have been downtown San Fransisco, New York City, Washington DC, and a billion times to Detroit, and a few other smaller big cities, and Chicago is a million times more beautiful than you'd ever expect. Definitely the best looking huge city in America I have witnessed. I couldn't say enough good things about how impressed I was. Makes Detroit look like an outhouse after a ballgame full of drunk guys passed through.

We did go up the Sky deck..it's a little pricey but worth it. Now I have been to the top of the two largest structures in North America, Sears Tower and CN Tower. I refuse to call Sears tower Willis Tower..I don't care how big a man's ego is, you can't rename an American Icon like that. You wan't to buy the Bank of America tower and rename it, fine, but you don't rename Sears Tower or the Empire State building!

Shedd Aquarium however does not live up to it's hype. It's not a bad aquarium, but you expect it to be more than it is because they hype it as being one of the best in the world. If you like Aquariums, go to Cincinatti. That's a real aquarium. The Dolphin show at Shedd was all filler with no substance. The only thing that truly caught my attention at the aquarium was picture #2, a sea dragon.

For all the good and all the not so great things about Chicago, it's no wonder why people from around the world choose it as a vacation destination.

Attachments

• shedd1.jpg
    shedd1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 158
  • shedd2.jpg
    shedd2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 185
  • shedd3.jpg
    shedd3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 230
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I 'passed through' Chicago once, but wish I had stuck around a bit longer.
Sound like you had fun after all and I'm glad you took the family. I can see that Dragon in some scroll work in the near future!!!:rolleyes:

How was the pen show? And is Ms Kizer as stunning as everyone says???:biggrin:. Did you manage to get a word in edgeways with gabby Ed??

workinforwood

I spent far more money than I made, but I made some really good contacts that are worth far more than I spent, as well as I learned some very valuable lessons pertaining to pen making, so although the pocket book is in the negative, I came out way ahead in many other areas.

Ed and Dawn are great people, and a real pleasure to spend time with! Meeting some other members was great too, especially meeting Dean Charlier and Brian Gray.

hewunch

IMO the museum of Science and Industry is the coolest thing in Chicago with a quasi-educational flair. I HIGHLY recommend it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It was indeed a pleasure meeting Jeff and his family!!

As to why his trip resulted in negative cash flow: You can't SELL pens to the WALLS!!! The attendance at the show was very light--although we arrived late, Dean was there before us and also walked the show with no interference from other bodies, during the "meat" of the day on Saturday.

I'm afraid the Chicago show is not one of the "growing" venues.

Had he asked, I also would have advised the Museum of Science and Industry. The Shedd Aquarium has been there about as long as dirt.

But, Jeff did drop off lots of new pen blanks, which will be available on www.exoticblanks.com SOON!!! And, he makes GREAT ribs!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

witz1976

Great pics of the fam. Jeff, sorry the venue did not turn out the way you wanted, but at least you made some new connections and had a great time by the sounds of it!

workinforwood

Did you go to Navy pier?

No, but I did get a little lost and drove by Wrigley Field by accident as a game was letting out and a Protest against Arizona was happening at the same time. The traffic and commotion was just Peachy! :biggrin:

Then I had several confrontations with taxi cabs cutting me off Downtown and racing around me like I didn't exist. No exchanges of words or anything like that, just that I had to transform my driving attitude and teach them guys how we drove in Toronto !!! :biggrin::devil:

RAdams

Banned
Chicago is indeed a fun place to visit! I remember having the best slice of pizza in my life downtown Chicago. I stood in front of the restaraunt in mid-day eating my pie while all the people around walked by staring like i was a tourist or something! It was great!!

Looks like you had a good time!

ROOKIETURNER

And I get to live just 30 miles west of Chicago. And I agree it is the best tourist city in America. Sheds is not all that it is cracked up to be, but it is still very impressive. The museums are a must see. Navy pier is a huge tourist trap, but also a must see.

And the Taxi drivers are just a part of the scene. You go with the flow and eventually learn to drive like them if you want to get anywhere in the city. Too bad you had to see the ugly side of the city, a.k.a. wrigley field, a.k.a. the World's largest gay bar, a.k.a. home of the cry babies....oh did I mention I am a White Sox fan? Did you have any Pizza? Gino's East?

cozee

Yep, the Windy is a nice place to visit. But like everything else, there is the flip side and the rest of us down state get to see that side, and talk about junk in the trunk!!

capcrnch

I love Chicago. Being from NY originally, then moving to Michigan, I miss the big city.
Chicago is about a 5 hour drive for us, so it's not too bad. We have the same routine when we go.. Shedd's, pizza, the museums, pizza, Navy Pier, pizza, Wrigley, pizza etc etc

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You missed TWO words!!!

I love Chicago. Being from NY originally, then moving to Michigan, I miss the big city.
Chicago is about a 5 hour drive for us, so it's not too bad. We have the same routine when we go.. Shedd's, pizza, the museums, pizza, Navy Pier, pizza, Wrigley, pizza etc etc

HOT DOG!!!

Top Bottom