Chicago Chapter Updated Information

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

I went to Rockler this weekend and the new place looks great. There is a demo area setup with full lighting and monitors. They will provide a demo lathe for any demo we are doing. There will also be bleacher seating so you will not have to stand. They have also been handing out flyers they made up for the last few weeks.

The manager there, Mark, also informed me that anyone signing up for our local chapter (which simply means an email address – no cost) will be eligible for a 10% discount on all non-sale items. We will also have a few giveaways and some specials that day.

In addition Ed Brown the IAP Local Chapter Manager (Wisconsin) indicated he will try to attend – Ed has given me some guidance on the startup phase and directions we should take. And Mark James, the IAP Curator, also indicated he will try to come out from Ohio and may bring a few of the collection pens.

If you would like to bring a few pens to show off – I will have a table setup. As mentioned before, the first meeting will really be to set the direction for the group. I will demo my technique on turning handmade blanks and acrylics in general. I am hoping for a very interactive group. Since this is new I am not sure how many will attend - some where between me, Ed and Mark (and with the manager there named Mark - three Mark's are a lot) to a nice group. Based on the last post I look forward to seeing many of you there.

Date:
February 11, 2017 from 9 am - 11 am (Store opens at 9 - but I will be there early and Mark indicated showing early will not be a problem. I will try to start promptly at 9)

139 South Weber Road
Bolingbrook, IL 60490

Agenda for the first meeting:
Quick Meet and Greet
Discuss goals for the chapter
Establish frequency and meeting dates and time (for the rest of the year)
Get an idea of demos we would like to see
Open forum for new things we have seen (products / videos / kits)
First demo - Turning Handmade Blanks

Since this is the first meeting I will step up and demo how I turn acrylic and handmade blanks. My technique will allow you to stream the acrylic in nice long ribbons with a standard spindle gouge.

Other demo ideas for the future - we will discuss and I look forward to more:
Wood finishes
Casting
Pen Wizard
Segmenting
Fountain Pens and Refills
Closed End Pens
Inlays and Antlers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

So for everyone in my last post concerned with the weather being a barrier to coming out, it looks like it could hit 50 in Bolingbrook on Saturday. Could not ask for better cooperation. (Read: This is a shameless bump just to remind people to come out this Saturday).

JohnU

Glad to hear things are moving forward with the new chapter. I'm looking forward to it. See you all on Saturday.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Still expecting to be there!! Even have a couple "riders" to keep me awake!! Hope there is a great turnout!

Don't be surprised if I have a few "thanks for coming" gifts with me.

Ed

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm all set also, will have dinner with one son on Friday, then our meeting, then I will join my other son/friends to see a "Tatoo Exhibit" at the field museum.:eek::eek::eek:

dudstuen

I planned on attending today but unexpected things came up, hope it was a great turn out. Will shoot for next one.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Congratulations are in order!! Mark's efforts turned out FIFTY pen turners!!!

The Rockler store was very comfortable, even with that large a crowd. It was determined that the next meeting will be some time in April (Easter was noted as a bad choice) on a Saturday, starting probably at 10, but 9:30 seemed to have about equal support. Don McClosky volunteered to demonstrate the celtic knot.

Lots of questions, which Mark handled well, great answers!! Over half the room claimed to be new penturners---we hope to see them all return in April. Hopefully, pictures will be posted soon---

Again the IAP sincerely thanks Mark Dreyer for his tenacity--FINALLY it seems we will have a Chicago chapter!!!k Would not have happened without Mark!!!

I will echo what Ed said, it was a great meeting, and a huge group! It was my first IAP meeting, and I really enjoyed it. Thank you Rockler for providing a meeting place, and being so accommodating. Thank you Mark for the great talks and demo, and thanks Ed for allowing me to ride along. And thank you everybody for the hospitality!

Chris Labedz

As a pen turner for only a year it was great to meet and talk with knowledgeable people who have a passion like I do look forward to many more meetings and to get to know everyone Chicago chapter is alive and I think will grow. Great work Mark and Ed it was a pleasure to meet you Thank you both for a good morning.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

eldee

Thanks to Mark Hubl (Rockler), Mark Dreyer, Ed Brown, Mark James (that's a lot of Marks), and others for making the inaugural meeting of the Chicago chapter of IAP a big success. Looking forward to the next meeting in April.

Top Bottom