Cherry grandfather clock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SpiritRider

SpiritRider

I have been working on this longer than I am going to ever admit!! A coworker had 3 given to him and passed this one to me.
I am ready to finish it and checking different methods. Any suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• 20200424_080922.jpg
    20200424_080922.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 271
  • 20200424_080930.jpg
    20200424_080930.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 20200424_080939.jpg
    20200424_080939.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 291
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
:eek:
WOW SpiritRider! I am at my In-Laws house assisting them with Coronavirus issues. They are both 94. My Mother-In-Law's father was a hobbist woodworker and made "kit" Clocks. We believe he finished 8-9 of these in the 1960's.

I am looking at a finished clock that I believe is a match for yours. It is the one on the right.

IMG_1704.jpg
IMG_1705.jpg

The moon dial looks like a very good match. Yours, out of the kit is very vibrant, but on the one here the colors have faded but the boat on the right of the yellow moon is still visable.

The instructions indicate that this is 1965 vintage. I have included a copy of the instructions that were still in an envelope in the bottom cabinet. I can make a copy and mail it to you if you would like. Although if you have the complete kit, you may have these already.

If you have any additional information, we would greatly appreciate it. I will PM you.

My wife and I have a similar clock at our house as well as a smaller wall clock - about 2' x 2'. And 5 other family members have similar clocks from the same grandfather.

This clock is referred to as a "Grandmother" Clock in our notes probably due to slightly smaller size.

Very interesting.

IMG_1707.jpg
IMG_1708.jpg

My Father in law, now 97, is what I would call a high end professional craftsman. Some of the things he's made have been quite difficult and time consuming. 30 years ago he made a grandfather clock from scratch. He cut the Black Walnut tree down from his own backyard. Had it milled into nice varying thicknesses boards then let it air dry for quite some time. He had the design in his head and went about making his clock by going to Bruners (now closed), taking measurements and then got to the task of making the clock. He ordered the movement from Germany and guess what? The instructions were all in German so he had to have a friend translate them to English so he could finish the clock. I wish I could share a picture of it but have known available.
I admire my father in law and those others that can do woodwork like that, even if it's a kit. The examples shown on both posts are beautiful and deserve high praise for what the makers have completed. Nice work!

dpstudios

I, myself, on this piece would use a danish oil. Nothing beats the glow of a hand-rubbed oil finish. Especially on cherry. Just my $.02

bsshog40

That is going to be very nice looking! For years I have always been hoping I could run across a good deal on a nice GF Clock. I think they are beautiful. I'm just a wristwatch and pocket watch collector as of now.

SpiritRider

Thanks for the offer but I have all of the instructions. This clock is over 6.5 feet tall so I think it's a grandfather. I was thinking about using a spray shellac due to all of the nooks and crannies. I forgot to add that it's an Emperor clock kit

Last edited:

jttheclockman

This came out well. Nice craftsmanship and choice of woods. With time it will darken and get even a richer looking color. Well done and thanks for showing. Always love seeing woodworking projects other than pens. It shows there are some talented craftspeople here.

Top Bottom