Cherry burl.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eteska

I cut up a few blanks today to cast in epoxy resin. Last attempt I got one of my nicest pens to date and had one complete failure. The failure was losing a large chunk ruining the blank. The part that blew was bark.

My question is should I be trying to get most of the bark off? (it's really stuck on these pieces.) if so does anyone have any tips?

IMG_3180.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Bark is tricky . NO guarantees , but frequent stops for application of thin CA can help . Literally flood the boundary with CA the first time . After letting it soak in for a few minutes , use accelerator . It may not be fully cured all the way down , even after an hour . If you get CA spatters on your face shield , STOP . Best to re-apply after each reduction in diameter of about 1/4 inch .

eteska

Bark is tricky . NO guarantees , but frequent stops for application of thin CA can help . Literally flood the boundary with CA the first time . After letting it soak in for a few minutes , use accelerator . It may not be fully cured all the way down , even after an hour . If you get CA spatters on your face shield , STOP . Best to re-apply after each reduction in diameter of about 1/4 inch .

Thx for responding. This is similar to what I have done in the past. Probably just need to slow down a bit and be more patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

1080Wayne

As a general rule , stabilizing will not harden bark . The degree of its effect upon the bark/sapwood transition probably varies between wood species . I depend upon CA , even on woods such as chokecherrry and saskatoon , which hold bark tightly .

Top Bottom