Cherry Bonanza

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Humongous

My next door neighbor cut down a dead cherry tree and gave me first pick of the lumber. Needless to say I now have a pile of cherry that will last me a long time. It was not a very large tree, the largest pieces are 10" in diameter. I was doing some reading on turning "green wood" so I grabbed a couple of pieces to give it a try. Wow! What a joy it was to turn. I would say it was like turning Alumilite, long ribbons just flying off the wood, almost no dust and the smell was heavenly. The photo shows the pieces, a couple for blanks and the bowl is from a 4 way crotch piece. Real happy with the grain this stuff is showing. I currently have these drying in a paper bag full of shavings, I know that cherry is notorious for cracking so we will see what happens. I may be a convert to this green wood turning, and my neighbor has some pens coming his way once it drys.

20200528_182730.jpg

Nice looking wood. The only 2 problems I've ever had with Cherry is it cracks pretty easily, as you mentioned and it has a tendency to twist as it dries. Might get a bit darker too. Other than than, I love the look, feel and the final out come you get from Cherry.

tiggere

Watch the storing in shavings...I just turned a green magnolia bowl and while talking to club members and some AAW members they all said shavings will cause mold...they said just a paper bag and another capped over the top...

Getting wet shavings thrown at you while turning is the best!

Top Bottom