Cheese slicer tips and discussion thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

Since several of us will be getting cheese slicer kits and others may be getting them as well, I thought it would be nice if we had a thread to discuss tips and techniques etc for making them.

One thing to note - make sure that you have a 1/4" drill but long enough to drill the hole required. The regular but in my drill index was not long enough.

Also, if you don't have a floor standing drill press, you may need to figure out a way of drilling the hole as the length of the long drill bit plus the width of the board will be too much for many bench too drill presses. You could probably make some kind of jig or start the hold with a dowel jig if you have one. Also there is a YouTube video that someone posted showing drilling it on the lathe. No personal experience there.

I recommend drilling the hole before cutting the kerf so you can see if the kerf is at the correct depth. The kerf needs to be a little bit deeper than the bottom of the hole for the wire to fit.

I use a small shop made crosscut sled for the job with a shin under one side so the kerf is deeper on the hole side than the opposite.

Another nice thing about using the sled is that I set a stop block for cutting multiple boards at once.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hey Dan can you post a few photos of them for us who have no idea what these things are. I have made jigs before that use a handheld drill and basically a skid to allow the material to be pushed into the bit. Have drilled with 8" bits. Jigs are so easy to make and can make life so much easier. Just need to think it through. I was going to say think outside the box but recently I got chastised because he thought I was insulting him. Want to be politically correct these days. :)

Dan Masshardt

Hey Dan can you post a few photos of them for us who have no idea what these things are. I have made jigs before that use a handheld drill and basically a skid to allow the material to be pushed into the bit. Have drilled with 8" bits. Jigs are so easy to make and can make life so much easier. Just need to think it through. I was going to say think outside the box but recently I got chastised because he thought I was insulting him. Want to be politically correct these days. :)

I'll post some pics of my process soon when I make another one.

No jigs for me in the process. My point was that if you don't have a big drill press you'll need to come up with a plan / jig

jttheclockman

I'll post some pics of my process soon when I make another one.

No jigs for me in the process. My point was that if you don't have a big drill press you'll need to come up with a plan / jig

Maybe I can help there. Need to see what needs to be done. As I said I have no idea what these are. But if so many people have been making them already they have these things figured out already. With as many of these being bought I thought I was watching QVC. Did not know they are that popular. We do not get that kind of a buy with pen kits. :biggrin:

Dan Masshardt

I keep them pretty basic with just s couple of woods each.

Attachments

• image-232934397.jpg
    image-232934397.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 201

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
OK I see the board. What is everyone buying??? What is getting turned if anything??? Where does the drilling come in.
What you are buying is the chrome or black arm, wire and handle. You need to make the board, like a miniature cutting board about 5-3/4" X 9-1/2". You need to drill a 1/4" hole 2 7/8" deep in the board for the arm. Instructions can be found here on the Woodcraft site and here on the Cheeseslicing site about hald way down the page/

jttheclockman

OK I see the board. What is everyone buying??? What is getting turned if anything??? Where does the drilling come in.
What you are buying is the chrome or black arm, wire and handle. You need to make the board, like a miniature cutting board about 5-3/4" X 9-1/2". You need to drill a 1/4" hole 2 7/8" deep in the board for the arm. Instructions can be found here on the Woodcraft site and here on the Cheeseslicing site about hald way down the page/

Thanks Monty. The instructions tell the whole story. Good luck to all those that are getting into these. If i can't put a clock in it I can not sell it.:)

I will be no help at all. I am out of this. :)

Top Bottom