Cheese/Dip Platter.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

Finally got this finished this afternoon, my last piece for 2012.:rolleyes:

I got this piece of Tasmanian Oak Burl about 3 years ago and have been waiting for the inspiration to strike and get the best out of the blank. It measured 16in square and 3in thick. Must have moved it a hundred times.

The platter is finished with "Krylon" clear varnish and measures 15 x 2.5in.:biggrin:

Being burl there were many voids and weak spots and lots of thin CA and Epoxy/coffee grinds were used. If you look closely you will see some small voids remaining and this was part of the plan. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

C & C welcome and thanks for looking.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL.

Bob.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 252
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rizaydog

Very nice work Bob. It's a great piece to end the year on. I looked real close and didn't see any voids. I saw character!!! That's natures special effects. To me, those add value to the piece:)
So what is the fish in the center? A decal, something inlayed???

Bob Wemm

Very nice work Bob. It's a great piece to end the year on. I looked real close and didn't see any voids. I saw character!!! That's natures special effects. To me, those add value to the piece:)
So what is the fish in the center? A decal, something inlayed???

It's a ceramic tile.
I agree, they make the character of the any piece.

Bob.

PaulDoug

Very nice piece. Beautiful wood. Just a personal preference, I would have used a solid color piece of tile. The fish picture and the wood seem to be fighting for attention. That is just an opinion and not an expert one at that.

Last edited:

robutacion

Yeah, you told me about you being working on that great blank, and now I see what you have dome with it and I quite like it. The idea of the ceramic tile look good to me so, well dome mate, one more done, 999 to go...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Bob Wemm

Very nice piece. Beautiful wood. Just a personal preference, I would have used a solid color piece of tile. The fish picture and the wood seem to be fighting for attention. That is just an opinion and not an expert one at that.

I agree, the plain centre would look nice, but we are a coastal tourist town, so that is why I went for the "fish".
Thank you for your opinion.:wink:

Bob.

sbwertz

Those aren't flaws....they're FEATURES!

Sharon

Finally got this finished this afternoon, my last piece for 2012.:rolleyes:

I got this piece of Tasmanian Oak Burl about 3 years ago and have been waiting for the inspiration to strike and get the best out of the blank. It measured 16in square and 3in thick. Must have moved it a hundred times.

The platter is finished with "Krylon" clear varnish and measures 15 x 2.5in.:biggrin:

Being burl there were many voids and weak spots and lots of thin CA and Epoxy/coffee grinds were used. If you look closely you will see some small voids remaining and this was part of the plan. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

C & C welcome and thanks for looking.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL.

Bob.

Top Bottom