cheer/jeer : timberbits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyHeatley

I paid for express shipping, and paid an extra $15 for shipping two weeks before Christmas and it didn't get here until the 2nd. I don't necessarily necessarily think it's timberbits fault. But the previous time the order was packed next day. For the price of the kits I can't complain. My jeer is the consignment company they deal with.

I placed my order roughly five hundred dollars. It came and everything was great. A month and a bit later after I already paved another order I get mail from tnt consignment saying I owe them $45 for duty. I don't quite understand this. I mean I would think there should be duty being an Australian company but the parcel I relieved was from within my country.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

there have been previous posts about getting bills for duty owed.

I think some people ignored them...you'll have to search

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
You are responsible for paying duty on ANYTHING you bring into Canada, unless you`re going there personally and qualify for a duty exemption...

Timberbits sent the item with TNT, who is their express courier...

Since two things happened, I can tell you that the jeer is for the wrong person:
1. They shipped TNT, who usually takes under 5 days to deliver
2. You received an invoice for duty from TNT

So your jeer should really say `Jeer - Customs`

Rarely (or frequently), customs stops parcels, inspects them, and charges taxes and duty on the value. That`s no-one`s fault - it just happens...and slows your parcel down by a matter of weeks, most times, regardless of how speedy the method is normally

Edit: And yes, you have to pay. TNT paid the duty on your behalf, and charged you a fee for doing this...you are now responsible for paying them back.

DannyHeatley

It is a jeer on customs; however I just don't understand how it went through customs when they shipped it from British Columbia to Alberta. Unless the package was redirected or shipped from Australia to British Columbia then to me I don't understand. Sorry I guess I'm just a little confused more than anything.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
BC is the point of entry for Western Canada, so items shipped from the Pacific go to Vancouver for Customs processing, and then are released to Canada Post or Purolator or another shipping company for final delivery to you.

Timberbits is located in Australia, so he shipped TNT from Australia, and it likely made it to Vancouver within a day or two (via plane). It then went into a Customs warehouse, and your package was chosen for inspection (random). That tends to slow packages down by at least a week. They determined the value of the package, decided on what tax and duty was owed, and TNT paid that on your behalf. It was then sent on to you. TNT generally sends out the invoices for duty well after delivery, as in your case.

Did the duty invoice say what TNT charged for processing? I was curious...Canada Post charges $8 for priority shipping and I think $5 for slower shipping methods. Other companies like UPS charge much more - $25 or so - for clearing Customs for you.

Hope that helps clear up the process!

DannyHeatley

BC is the point of entry for Western Canada, so items shipped from the Pacific go to Vancouver for Customs processing, and then are released to Canada Post or Purolator or another shipping company for final delivery to you.

Timberbits is located in Australia, so he shipped TNT from Australia, and it likely made it to Vancouver within a day or two (via plane). It then went into a Customs warehouse, and your package was chosen for inspection (random). That tends to slow packages down by at least a week. They determined the value of the package, decided on what tax and duty was owed, and TNT paid that on your behalf. It was then sent on to you. TNT generally sends out the invoices for duty well after delivery, as in your case.

Did the duty invoice say what TNT charged for processing? I was curious...Canada Post charges $8 for priority shipping and I think $5 for slower shipping methods. Other companies like UPS charge much more - $25 or so - for clearing Customs for you.

Hope that helps clear up the process!

Thanks for clearing up the process. I looked and tnt charges $15.

I regret posting the jeer part of this. Timberbits has always been great. I guess I just got an unexpected bill that didn't make me the happiest camper and being narrow minded I figured it was some company timberbits used to put together orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom