Checkerboard Peppermill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from John Eldeen

John Eldeen

The blank was made of 144 1/4" by 1/4" peices of black walnut and maple carefully stacked into a checkerboard pattern. Enjoy 😁
20200126_171621.jpg
20191221_142017.jpg20200127_102931.jpg20200126_171621.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Eldeen

Very beautiful, indeed !!!

Now to figure out how you arranged "what" pieces !!!
I stacked 12 alternating layers 1/4" thick glued that together then cut that stack into a thick 1/4" and sanded down to exactly 1/4". Flip every other layer and glue back together. It is much like making a small end grain cutting board.

magpens

I stacked 12 alternating layers 1/4" thick glued that together then cut that stack into a thick 1/4" and sanded down to exactly 1/4". Flip every other layer and glue back together. It is much like making a small end grain cutting board.

@John Eldeen

Expressed that way, it sounds tantalizingly simple !!! . But a real conversation piece for guests at mealtime !!! . Include a lathe as the host !!!

When you say "Flip every other layer and glue back together.", would "rotate 90" do the same as "flip" ?

John Eldeen

@John Eldeen

Expressed that way, it sounds tantalizingly simple !!! . But a real conversation piece for guests at mealtime !!! . Include a lathe as the host !!!

When you say "Flip every other layer and glue back together.", would "rotate 90" do the same as "flip" ?
Yes Mal rotate 180 degrees would be the same. It is not as difficult as it looks the only hard part is not losing the alignment when clamping.

David350

John, I hope you are not going to curse me for this, but I wonder if when you are stacking the checkerboards on top of each other in the final glue up, what if rather than simply alternating the panels, you rotated them say 15 degrees each, and make a vortex type pattern? I wonder how that would look turned? Probably would not be as nice as what you have here.. If you were to try this, I would suggest you drill a hole in the center of each square panel and insert a rod so they stay aligned as you do the rotations...

John Eldeen

John, I hope you are not going to curse me for this, but I wonder if when you are stacking the checkerboards on top of each other in the final glue up, what if rather than simply alternating the panels, you rotated them say 15 degrees each, and make a vortex type pattern? I wonder how that would look turned? Probably would not be as nice as what you have here.. If you were to try this, I would suggest you drill a hole in the center of each square panel and insert a rod so they stay aligned as you do the rotations...
If I am understanding what you say it would look like this
20190822_155106.jpg

Top Bottom