Check out this threading??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

As far as the headstock I am not sure how that works, looks like he added a sewing machine mechanism to his "headstock" to get it to go back and forth instead of up and down. The chisel/cutter looks like a thread chaser. Best explained by going to Craft Supplies USA and doing a search on thread chaser. The chisels are about $80 each, I tried it once, once was more than enough, just glad I did not buy the chisels.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
It looks like the basic principle that one can chase threads with a tap, or even a bolt ground flat.

altaciii

However the tools work, he certainly knows how to use them. Those are some great looking pens he created. What does he sell those for, Cris, if you don'tmind me asking?

cnirenberg

Wow,
That is some really cool stuff. What talent and skill. I like those tools he uses, as well as, the special headstock. I got to know more. I just checked out his website, Chris you are going to have to help, it's all Japanese to me..

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Amazing. That 'scraper' looks like a re-purposed sashimi knife.
As for the threads .. I think I just gave up on the idea.
Amazing to watch, though.. I'm fascinated by seeing a true craftsman
plying his trade. There was an elderly Korean man in the dry cleaners
next to my store. I could stand at the window for a half hour at a time
just watching him iron shirts. And I think most of the money I spent on
sushi wasn't that I was hungry, but that I got to watch the process.

This guy makes it all look effortless

chriselle

Here is his page stating what materials he uses. Ebonite, Celluloid, PR, Cocobolo and lastly Waterbuffalo Horn. If you click on any of the arrows you can see the prices.........they make my prices look like a bargain. :biggrin:

From what I see I'm not diggin many of the wood pens as they seem to be a little unfinished for my liking but the other materials look good.

http://www.fp-hakase.com/product/index.html

jleiwig

Here is his page stating what materials he uses. Ebonite, Celluloid, PR, Cocobolo and lastly Waterbuffalo Horn. If you click on any of the arrows you can see the prices.........they make my prices look like a bargain. :biggrin:

From what I see I'm not diggin many of the wood pens as they seem to be a little unfinished for my liking but the other materials look good.

http://www.fp-hakase.com/product/index.html

So roughly a 1000 yen to the dollar right? So we're talking close to 2 grand for an ebonite pen. Wow....

The machining on that headstock is spectacular though. I'm more impressed with that than anything else.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
So roughly a 1000 yen to the dollar right? So we're talking close to 2 grand for an ebonite pen. Wow....

The machining on that headstock is spectacular though. I'm more impressed with that than anything else.

1.00 USD

=

91.0758 JPY

That makes it more like $18,000 for a pen.

dogcatcher

call it my gut, but I have a feeling that headstock is treadle powered at least for the back and forth motion.

I agree, I was wondering if the headstock is some how connected to the mechanism from an old treadle sewing machine. The distance of a sewing machine going up and down is similar to the sideways motion of the drill chuck.

But how did he gear it to get the rotation and the right/left motion?

jleiwig

But how did he gear it to get the rotation and the right/left motion?

My guess would be that the shaft has coarse threads on it and that by pushing down on what appears to be the brass bars sticking up it will start to turn like a screw instead of like a headstock. Just a guess, but that's the only thing I could see on it that would make sense.

titan2

Just went to 'Yahoo! Finance'....Currencies Center......

It shows 90.725 Yen to the dollar.......The first pen @ 42,000 yen comes out to $463....

Barney

bgray

That's a pretty common way to cut threads in the East.

The lathe has two engagements. One is standard, just spinning. The other engages the headstock into a set of gears that are identical to the TPI of the thread. Then this oscillates the headstock.

It's the same principle as a metal lathe. But in this version, the headstock moves on it's axis to cut threads, rather than the cutter.

alexkuzn

Guys,

is anyone interested in buying thread chaser tools like this guy is using?
I am going to make some for myself out of Starret O-1 steel.
The most time consuming step is heat treating(I have electronically controlled furnace) and it'll be more economical to make more that one or two at once.

Thanks,
Alex

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Guys,

Depending on price, yes!

I may never learn to use it well, and I may just be buying more tools I
don't need .. but there's two empty spots in my shop and it's driving me
nuts.

ok, I lied about there being two empty spots. But I can always take out
the trash..

chriselle

Guys,

I am going to make some for myself out of Starret O-1 steel.
The most time consuming step is heat treating(I have electronically controlled furnace) and it'll be more economical to make more that one or two at once.

Thanks,
Alex

Alex,

I think I may be interested....but....I'd have no idea how to use it. Watching this video brings more questions than answers to mind.

Jgrden

Amazing. That 'scraper' looks like a re-purposed sashimi knife.
As for the threads .. I think I just gave up on the idea.
Amazing to watch, though.. I'm fascinated by seeing a true craftsman
plying his trade. There was an elderly Korean man in the dry cleaners
next to my store. I could stand at the window for a half hour at a time
just watching him iron shirts. And I think most of the money I spent on
sushi wasn't that I was hungry, but that I got to watch the process.

This guy makes it all look effortless
My sentiments too.

Top Bottom