Chatter when Turning casein

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mylowill

Hello All,

Bought a bit of classic casein from a supplier here in the uk,

love how it looks but I do get a quite a lot of chatter, more so at the beginning as I like to turn my blanks to a cylinder before cutting and drilling etc.

Just after some pointers in an effort to reduce the chatter have tried various speeds, tools and cut sizes.

Many thanks,

Myles

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Sharp tools, I have used a skew, and approach from the end and work toward the center a little at a time. Do not try to turn the entire blank round as in passes down the entire length. Do this from both sides. That is how I did the very little I did have. I use the faux stuff now.

LK&T

If you're using a pen mandrel, you might try turning between centers instead. That'll get you a more rigid setup to fight vibration. Other than that, I can't add anything that JT didn't already.

penmkr

Sharp tools, I have used a skew, and approach from the end and work toward the center a little at a time. Do not try to turn the entire blank round as in passes down the entire length. Do this from both sides. That is how I did the very little I did have. I use the faux stuff now.
I use a 1 1/4" oval skew that's razor sharp. I use it point on the bottom, heel on the top as this reduces grabbing.

Mylowill

Many thanks for the responses,

Will give them a go, I am turning between centres but have today had a bit better success by drilling each end with a center drill to give a matching 60*.

The skew is a favourite but normally use a planing cut so will try heel on top along with working to the center.

So far the best results Ive had was using a shearing cut on cheap carbide tool - detail or diamond. Have always struggled to get on with the carbide tools, always been a bit disappointed with the finish and the control or lack of in the cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom