Chasing Unicorns

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

I keep wanting to upgrade to a new lathe because the one I have has a lot of slop in the tailstock, and now the quill has developed some upward deflection. However, in reading reviews, it seems like all, or at least most of the lathes in my budget (up to 1k) have the same issues.

Can anybody recommend a decent midi lathe (10" or 12" swing) in that price range that doesn't? :confused:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

my Jet 1221 VS is awesome as a lathe, the tailstock is fair. Not fantastic but fair.
It runs better using a center drill and a squared up blank, off shape blanks will result in an ok hole that will work fin for kit pens.

Nothing will beat a squared up drill press for long holes though.

Chris P

My Nova Comet II is great. I have had it about 4 months now and turned a dozen pens, legs for a bed and short pedestals for a Halloween display.

TonyL

I have a good budget and several 1221 and a 1015 and Rikon. I wonder if spending up to 2k will result less sloppy lathe. I know a more powerful and larger one can be found, but I wonder if any tru-er. I only make pens and bottle stoppers, but I do like precision tool.

WriteON

I keep wanting to upgrade to a new lathe because the one I have has a lot of slop in the tailstock, and now the quill has developed some upward deflection. However, in reading reviews, it seems like all, or at least most of the lathes in my budget (up to 1k) have the same issues.

Can anybody recommend a decent midi lathe (10" or 12" swing) in that price range that doesn't? :confused:
What kind of turning are you doing? I'm strictly pens & stoppers.
I have a Jet 1015 & 1221. Both VS. Bought each on black Fri at -15% off from CPO outlets.

Alex D

It's a bit out of the box, but if you are willing to do a bit if work yourself, you can get an excellent used older lathe for way below that budget. I have a Delta 1460 12 inch lathe from the 40s. I bought it for $200, changed the bearings ($50) added a three phase motor (free, people literally give away 3 phase motors) and a variable frequency drive (VFD, $200). I now have a rock solid lathe with full variable speed control (including reverse and braking) for not much more than the smallest Harbor Freight lathe.

If you have interest in going that route (and I fully appreciate it isn't for everyone), check out owwm.org tons of info and very helpful folks as well as marketplace for parts and full machines.

All the best in your hunt!

Alex

Top Bottom