Chaos pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rfas

rfas

I was just playing today and made a chaos pen. I took cutoff scrapps from making a cutting board and randomly glued them up. Sliced it into 1" wide strips on a 45, flipped every other piece and re-glued. Sliced again in a 45 and re-glued to make a big chaos blank. Today I cut my first pen blank out of it and turned it. Interesting effect! I will be able to get quite a few more pens out of this mess and each one will be unique. Not bad for scraps that I otherwise would have tossed! Woods are maple, cherry, walnut, and purpleheart.

F1DDBCB8-F37F-4B69-ABE1-B764C558D4E4.jpeg
8C34423F-6151-45A9-830A-EB8CC7EB2614.jpeg
F6DC9992-2626-4BE2-A8A2-322123DE3F2F.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rfas

I actually would have expected more chaos than showed in the pen. 😊
I'm sure It'll get more chaotic as I get further into the blank. The chaos is actually there on this one, it's just subtle between the cherry and maple. I should have a lot of fun with the rest of this blank.

Last edited:

Kcimdrib

I made a similar chaos blank a while ago and got very interesting results I'm sure when you cut more the result will be better. But its a bit hit and miss.

Attachments

• 20210222_150950.jpg
    20210222_150950.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 127

rfas

I made a similar chaos blank a while ago and got very interesting results I'm sure when you cut more the result will be better. But its a bit hit and miss.
I turned one more pen today and, while it looks beautiful, it's even less "chaos" than the first one. I decided to slice the blank and shuffle one more time. A lot of the squares were too large in relation to the tube. I may even do one more pass after this one. At some point I have to worry about too many little tiny squares and glue joints that may not hold up on the lathe, but we will see. This is a lot of fun to play with though.

Kcimdrib

I like it worth going one more time. Don't make to many cuts because as you said you finish up with to many small pieces.
Good looking Pen.

Top Bottom