Changing watch batteries

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I can scratch a watch as good as the jewel did last round. The main person did not service my watch and got few marks on it. I HATE SCRATCHES. Down with them. Is there a kit or device to remove the back of the watch? I realize some backs turn off and others get pried off. I'd like to try a DIY. Thanks, Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

sorcerertd

I've used that harbor freight kit for years with no issues. You can get something similar and pay more, but it works fine. The screw off backs are easier to deal with than the pry off ones, though.

sbeebs66

Personally I have the ifix it kit and absolutely love it. I tinker with electronics so use it almost every day plus with a lifetime warranty I find it worth it.

greenacres2

I haven't changed a watch battery in the 10 years i've had my Citizen Eco-Drive. And...i've not reset the time and it still matches what my cell phone says. (okay, i did have to reset the time once--i was working an 11 day SCCA race in 2017, and my wife put a ball cap on my dresser--over the watch. No light, no power!!)
earl

jttheclockman

There are many pro kits that jewelers use> But you can find ones on ebay that work just as well. There are basically 3 different type backs. Snap on, screw on, and twist on. Now within each there are also different styles and can require different tools. Even some of the better watches that have snap on backs you could never snap them on with your thumbs if you tried for days. They require exact pressure in the center of the back and can only be done with a tool. Some screw on backs have keyways in them to make it easier and these are usually higher end. Others have just a bunch of ridges and this requires a certain tool.

Batteries, there are hundred of watch batteries so order only what you need. A good watch may have the battery number written on the back. I have included a link that hope works but you can google utube videos and also list of tools. Good luck. You can save a few $$ if you do it by yourself but many times a reputable jeweler will do for free and just pay for battery.

https://www.mywatchvilla.com/how-to... Snap-off Watch Back 3 Watch-Back With Screws

WriteON

There are many pro kits that jewelers use> But you can find ones on ebay that work just as well. There are basically 3 different type backs. Snap on, screw on, and twist on. Now within each there are also different styles and can require different tools. Even some of the better watches that have snap on backs you could never snap them on with your thumbs if you tried for days. They require exact pressure in the center of the back and can only be done with a tool. Some screw on backs have keyways in them to make it easier and these are usually higher end. Others have just a bunch of ridges and this requires a certain tool.

Batteries, there are hundred of watch batteries so order only what you need. A good watch may have the battery number written on the back. I have included a link that hope works but you can google utube videos and also list of tools. Good luck. You can save a few $$ if you do it by yourself but many times a reputable jeweler will do for free and just pay for battery.

https://www.mywatchvilla.com/how-to-remove-watch-back/#:~:text=There are three types of watch back casing,,2 Snap-off Watch Back 3 Watch-Back With Screws
Thank you...and everyone for the replies.

WriteON

Get a mechanical watch - no batteries to replace, ever!
I had a small collection. Hardly wore any. Have 3 new ones I gave to a relative. Currently wearing an iWatch. I want the battery change kit as it's a hassle to go to my jeweler …. And in Florida it would be less painless to toss and buy a new watch than get a battery. If not for hackers there would be no service. Anyway I just feel like tinkering. And if the watch falls apart here's goes my first attempt at a Steampunk blank.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I had a small collection. Hardly wore any. Have 3 new ones I gave to a relative. Currently wearing an iWatch. I want the battery change kit as it's a hassle to go to my jeweler …. And in Florida it would be less painless to toss and buy a new watch than get a battery. If not for hackers there would be no service. Anyway I just feel like tinkering. And if the watch falls apart here's goes my first attempt at a Steampunk blank.
All you get out of a battery watch is dial and hands. How many do you want?? Had about 50,000. Sold a bunch a few months ago just to get rid of them.

jttheclockman

Hi. Don't need any as they will sit for a while but thanks a million. Much appreciated.
I will be doing a couple watch part pens this winter that I did not get to last year and I will bet there will be calls for dials. It will be a few that shows what else you can do with them. Stay tuned.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Has anyone ever reset the hands on a watch? I have an old one from who knows when, and the hands are 'loose'. I was thinking of taking it apart and fiddling. (I don't really care much about the watch - just curious if it's possible to fix, or if it's the mechanism that's suspect)

jttheclockman

Has anyone ever reset the hands on a watch? I have an old one from who knows when, and the hands are 'loose'. I was thinking of taking it apart and fiddling. (I don't really care much about the watch - just curious if it's possible to fix, or if it's the mechanism that's suspect)
They are just push on. They can work loose. Hopefully the holes are not stretched too badly.

Top Bottom