Chakte Viga - a very colorful wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska:

I've been experimenting with some segmenting lately so yesterday I needed to cut up some more Chakte Viga from a board I got last year from the Woodcraft store in Omaha. I picked it specifically because it had both sapwood and heartwood in the same board. I was amazed that all of these color variations came from one piece of wood. (First picture is dry/fresh cut, Second picture is squirted with Denatured Alcohol).

IMG_1395 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1433 Cropped.jpg

Then even more of a surprise was that I had an open container of water (for Micro Meshing) sitting in my shop. After cutting up the board I noticed that the water had turned purple from the sawdust, so I did a little experiment with the sawdust, some water, and some denatured alcohol.

IMG_1385 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1388 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1390 Cropped.jpg

Regards,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

It will all turn brown:)

Yes, Isn't it a shame. I don't even use spar varnish or anything else that has a UV inhibitor in it to try to slow the browning. According to the colorfast rating chart on wood-database.com, compared with Padauk, Chakte Viga is supposed to retain it's color slightly better. The only wood that seems to be immune to turning brown is ebony!

Dave

jttheclockman

Keep it out of the sunlight and it will last longer but yes colored woods will change. As you said the blacks and browns will keep color. I have had good success with Yellowheart keeping that yellow color but alot depends on where it came from as with most woods such a bloodwood. I like that also.

sorcerertd

Funny you posted this. I just made another wand from Chakte Viga. The picture doesn't begin to do it justice with the chatoyance. It is such a shame that the color "fades"

20200825_215952.jpg

Top Bottom