Chainsaw chains

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Has anyone used Tallox chains? They have pretty good reviews on Amazon. I don't use the chainsaw that much, but it's getting a workout right now, as am I. Thinking about a new blade for now and maybe sharpening later. It seems that the cost of a 16" blade is about the same as professional sharpening (or even cheaper). Hand sharpening tools can be had for about as much as a new blade, but I'm sure would pay for themselves after a few sharpening sessions.

I really hated to see this huge white oak go, but it wasn't going to last much longer and the power company thought it was time. No, I did not cut that with my 16" blade. I'm not that good. But they pretty much left it there for me to clean up. Still it saved me several thousand bucks. The neighborhood will be warm next winter. It was the focal point of my street. The neighbors are sad that it is gone, too. As a matter of fact, the foreman on the crew that took it down stood there looking at it with me before they started and said he hated to take it down, too. You can see how big it was. 50" at the wide point where my feet are.

1647393310234.jpeg 1647393362762.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've never heard of the chains you noted. I have a 16" Stihl. I've paid to be sharpened, I've sharpened myself. Going forward, I will pay for a few chains (I rotate 3) to be sharpened by those that do it better than I!!! To me, a small cost for what I get.

PreacherJon

I've never heard of your chains. I prefer not to sharpen out in the field, so I keep about 4-5 blades with me and just change them out. I've been doing it long enough that I just sharpen them myself. I was going to buy some carbide tip ones... but you've got to send those out to be sharpened. I guess when it comes to sharpening... I like to make sure it gets done the way I like to do it... that includes most all implements. Except for table saw blades... I will send them out.

Attachments

• aaa1aaaaaaaazzzz.png
    aaa1aaaaaaaazzzz.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • Black Walnut cut 1e.png
    Black Walnut cut 1e.png
    567.2 KB · Views: 81

egnald

I have the same situation as Mark does. Stihl 14-inch saw and 4 chains that I rotate from a "Sharpened" container to a "Needs Sharpening" container. When I get 3 in three I take them to our local Stihl dealer for sharpening. He only charges about $10 to sharpen all three. Sounds like I might be getting a bargain! - Dave

MRDucks2

For years I burned 5-10 cord of wood for heat when I raised my family in southern Indiana. I prefer Husqvarna chain saws and have used Stihl. However, I always used Stihl chain on my Husqvarna saws. It simply stayed sharper longer. I would occasionally break a chain on large, hard maple but only than. Not sure about today but Stihl saw chain was hard to beat and readily available for me.

In my younger days I heated about 80% by wood. I use the Dremel and the sharpening stones they make for that purpose, they are pink colored 1" long. 5/32, and 7/32 as in my case for a 3/8" pitch chain. Out at the cutting site I used a small power inverter for a quick sharpening. Never removed the chain from the saw. At the home shop I would remove the chain every few sharpening's, clean drive sprocket, oil plates, and the chain channel in saw bar, very important. When saw began to cut at a slight angle that's the time to "true" or re parallel the bar.

sorcerertd

I bought the Harbor Freight chain saw sharpener. It does a great job of sharpening, requires no skill at all and has saved me a fortune on proffesional sharpening. (No one can ruin a blade as fast as I can when using a hand file and a guide!)
This is another thing I was considering. It's very affordable, but is also something else I need to find a space for.

MRDucks2

Not sure where it was from but someone used to have a 12 volt Dremel type tool with alligator clips and long leads to hook up to your battery and sharpen in the field (or woods).

I ended up giving mine away as I only used the motor driven tool in the shop. While out cutting the gray aluminum file holder was about as quick.

sorcerertd

Not sure where it was from but someone used to have a 12 volt Dremel type tool with alligator clips and long leads to hook up to your battery and sharpen in the field (or woods).

I ended up giving mine away as I only used the motor driven tool in the shop. While out cutting the gray aluminum file holder was about as quick.
I saw those available, too. I'd probably just use a file by hand before I'd reach for that and take the time to hook it to a battery. Hand filing is what I've done so far, but I'm not very consistent or precise with it.

farmer

Cut down a mountain range of timber .
Logging, tree faller, forest firefighter, had my own logging company .
Always carried a matching set of Husqvarna chain saws.
Most my saws had a 36 inch bars , but i did have a 72 inch bar for a 090 .
I have gotten into some big fir and red wood trees .

I always sharpen my chains myself, and I am very fast doing it as long as the chain hasn't been rocked out .

Top Bottom