Ceramic coffee scoop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeinSC

MikeinSC

So my mom's birthday is quickly approaching and I'm out of ideas. It would have been easy to have a lesser gift had Carl Edwards made the championship race of The Chase because she would be on cloud 9, but that didn't happen.

My latest order from Beartoothwoods came in yesterday but I didn't open it up until today. I had forgotten that I ordered a coffee scoop kit. So I began looking for good blank to use and while doing so, I found some ceramic insulators I had bought for another project. Thats when the dim bulb got a little extra juice. After some measuring, I decided I would use the insulators as my handle. But they are too long so I turned to the saw. Nope, not gonna work. I dulled two blades instantly. Then I thought I have carbide tool, collets and a lathe, that should work. I think steel would have been easier to turn and easier on the carbide blade. It had to be rehoned 3 times before getting it to size.

The parents like their coffee and mom is the one that makes it. I think she'll enjoy it.

IMG_20151117_181517429_HDR_zpsilv7ewr9.jpg

IMG_20151117_185058432_HDR_zpsfeu39ztu.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Next time you want to turn an ultra-hard material like ceramic, grab a handful of cheap diamond plated needle files .... make sure you use water, and cover up that lathe bed to prevent rust.

Turn at lower speeds, keeping the file nice and wet, and always keep the file UNDER the workpiece rather than over the top - you don't want the file kicking back at you if there's a catch.

This would probably work out for you MUCH better than dulling your carbide bits, which are only a tiny bit harder than ceramic in most cases...

It still looks like it turned out great, problems notwithstanding ... where'd you get the insulator material from, and how did you drill it or size it for the tubes?

MikeinSC

Skie,
Wire insulators are hollow in the middle so no drilling required there and they just happened to be the same diameter as the scoop kit. No tubes, just slathered the epoxy in the middle and hoped for the best. Worked out alright.

jttheclockman

Skie,
Wire insulators are hollow in the middle so no drilling required there and they just happened to be the same diameter as the scoop kit. No tubes, just slathered the epoxy in the middle and hoped for the best. Worked out alright.

The old Knob and Tube insulators:)

Thanks for showing. Job well done.

MikeinSC

Thanks everyone for pats on the back. Much appreciated.

I was able to get over to see the parents today and delivered the scoop and some fresh coffee. In typical supportive mom fashion she looked at it and goes "OK? I have plastic scoops that do the same thing." **sigh** This is the same woman that shook my hand when I left for the military when everyone else had tears and hugs to share. So when my dad asked for a cup of coffee made with the new scoop, she told him no, that it was for her only. I guess she likes it.

Top Bottom