Central Texas Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

Discussions & Demos

Here's a rough idea of what we can cover. We'll plan to start around 9:30 and finish up around 3:30-4:00. Topics can be added, changed, or modified as desired, so let me know what you want covered. We can also run more than one group if we have several attendees and it's hard to see any one discussion.

Turning Acrylics - Discuss the different types of acrylics and problems each pose during turning. Discuss wet and dry sanding techniques. Discuss the need for CA finish.

Turning Wood Blanks - Discuss finish techniques from PPP to CA. Discuss how to work with open grain woods such as oak and purpleheart. Is wet sanding needed.

Blank Prep - Techniques of preparing a blank for turning. Include drilling on drill press and lathe. How to rim the ends.

Segmenting - How to create a segmented blank.

Casting - I have a pot that is not fully complete. Someone that is casting could bring their own and we could have a demo. Otherwise, we'll have a general discussion on techniques.

Stabilizing - I have a Cactus Juice setup we can use.

Lunch - Depending on how many attend, I will provide burgers, dogs, chips and drinks. If the head count gets up there, I'll ask for donations.

We'll have a time for discussion on marketing and shows. I could drag out some of my display materials if someone wants to see them.

We'll have a blank swap. Bring things you want to trade. Also bring a blank to put into the "pot" for us to do like a exchange where you can rob the blank until it's been robbed 2-3 times.

Bring other things you want to trade, sell, swap. I can setup tables I use for shows to display things on.

I will donate up to 10 small flat rate boxes of blanks to attendees. If more that that attend, we'll make it like a drawing. Who knows, one of the boxes may contain a Jeff Powell blank from my stock. :)

We'll also have the speed turning contest during the lunch time. Bring your own tools if you want to participate cause you may feel more comforatable with your own tools. I'll provide finish materials. Let me know if you have a specific need for finish. We may limit this to 5-7 folks if this becomes popular. I'll have blanks prepared for everyone so the playing field is even. I'll keep the type of blank secret until we start. However, it may be wood or acrylic.

Wives and children are welcome. My wife will entertain as much as possible but she'll probably want to watch some of the activities also. I may have her timing the speed turning event. We just had the backyard fenced so kids have a place to play. Please understand that you'll be responsible for your children's supervision if they attend.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

ironman123

Rick, this sounds like it is going to be a great meeting. Informative events you have shown. And a Buy-Sell-Trade....and.....Lunch. WOW, you can't beat that unless Seamus has a loose Rattlesnake in his vehicle.

Go Rick, You da Man

Ray

mrburls

Hi Rick, you can count me in for the get together. I asked if I could get off that Saturday to attend. Maybe there might be someone else from San Antonio that might want to ride along. Looking forward to getting some more of Seamus Texas blanks. I may get together some vintage materials to bring along if someone is interested in purchasing any.
Are you going to have directions to your place later on?

Keith "mrburls"

beck3906

Keith "mrburls" has offered to give tips and thoughts on painting tubes/blanks/epoxy. Another great topic.

Keith also asked about having a table or space to display your pens for "show-and-tell". I had completely forgotten to mention this and feel we need to do this. Everyone does great work and it needs to be shared. Please bring your pens and other turnings and we'll find a display area for everyone to enjoy.

its_virgil

I think i may couple a trip to see my Dad (N or Waco in Itasca) with a side trip to Belton. I hinted to Seamus about going but he would rather make the trip with his wife:biggrin::biggrin: i understand: Happy Wife = Happy Life. I need to check my schedule and see about coming. Actually, Seamus told me about the meeting last night.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

skamrath1

If I can clear my schedule on the 29th I will try to make it down there also..... Seamus if I do come more than likely my wife will be with me :)

beck3906

Dons and Scott,

You're welcome to come.

To all,
If you're coming, you may consider bringing chairs to have a place to sit during lunch and discussions.

beck3906

Update on presentations

Seamus will be offering 2 different presentations/discussions during our gathering. One planned topic is casting snake skin blanks. The other is a demonstation of cutting one of his famous quarters.

There will be standing room only (literally).

beck3906

I would like to start getting a head count next weekend as to how many folks will be coming. I know several folks have already said they would be here, and some have suggested they may want to come.

We'll prepare food for the number we know about plus a bit extra. You can come the day of the gathering, but we may not have enough food prepared if we don't know you're coming.

We'll have hamburgers/hotdogs, potato salad, chips and sodas/water. Let me know by PM if you have a special dietary need.

mrburls

I definitely will be there. I been getting some materials together for turning pens to sell. I'll have some of the 1930's vintage rods (cellulose acetate material) I been using lately. Cebloplast rods and slabs. Vintage Crushed Velvet blanks I've been cutting up from slabs I got not to long ago and a few slabs.
Italian Resin Blanks (Polymer and Madreperlato).
And maybe some Amboyna Burl Blanks.

Looking forward to meeting some new people, Keith "mrburls"

teamtexas

I will difinitlely be there also. I will be bringing some 19 century items along for the barter/trade table and maybe a diamond back skin.

Rick, is there anything you need help with?

Dan

seamus7227

Just finished cutting 25 Texas Quarters for the meeting. I will be rapidly casting all week so wish me luck!

ForumRunner_20130616_215832.png

ForumRunner_20130616_215845.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130616_215741.png
    ForumRunner_20130616_215741.png
    606.6 KB · Views: 205

beck3906

Time is rapdily approaching for us to gather together and share thoughts and ideas. I'm feverishly (good word considering the heat) working to get my shop ready for the expected turn-out. I'm basically emptying my shop so we'll have lot's of room to gather folks around.

Here's a few thoughts.

Please bring something to sit on, especially during lunch time. I have a few places to sit, but it's a shop, so seating is limited.

Folks are asking about lunch. I would ask that you make a $5 donation for lunch. What you will receive is hamburgers/hot dogs, chips, potato salad, and fixin's.

We'll also make a Texas sheet cake for dessert. I'll supply plenty of soft drinks and bottled water.

Again, please let me know if you have a special dietary consideration.

Finally, if you haven't already, please confirm if you're coming. I want to have enough food to go around.

I sense there are several folks coming. I may have to go to waiting list. :wink: So get your name in early.

HeartofaPen

Rick,

So far it looks like 3-4 people will be coming from the Houston area. Maybe more if they check in.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Chris

beck3906

It's been too hot working in the main room of the shop lately, so I'm having another A/C unit installed to cool things down better. It should be installed Monday where I can get things comfy for the meeting. :biggrin:

beck3906

Five cases of water are cooling down. Several six-packs of soda are in the fridge.

Air conditioning installed in the shop today and starting to cool things down. Good thing as we are predicted to get our first 100 degree day Saturday.

Getting the final cleaning on the main shop completed.

Will be prepping demo items and gluing up blanks for the speed turning contest.

Anyone else want to come and be a part of the activities? We may be maxing out soon. :)

Last edited:

its_virgil

I will not be able to attend. Have a great time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I think i may couple a trip to see my Dad (N or Waco in Itasca) with a side trip to Belton. I hinted to Seamus about going but he would rather make the trip with his wife:biggrin::biggrin: i understand: Happy Wife = Happy Life. I need to check my schedule and see about coming. Actually, Seamus told me about the meeting last night.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

beck3906

If you've been on the fence about attending, you need to consider coming. There's a lot of talent going to be here offering their thoughts and experience. Demos on casting, stabilizing, painting, and other topics mean we may be tight on time getting everything in one day.

If you're coming and haven't already said you would be here, please confirm in this thread. I want to ensure we have enough burgers and such purchased.

Oh, and the shop will be comfortable this day. AC is working but it's not bone chilling. At least we won't have it 90 plus in there as we're expecting 100 degree weather.

Rounder

Well, just saw this thread and didn't know this was happening this weekend. Have been rather "inactive" on the lathe and here for a while with life happenings and want to get back going again. I will have to put myself in the definitely maybe catagory of attending. I REALLY want to come but have to be in Austin Friday evening and part of Saturday and don't know if I will be back in time. I really HOPE I can swing it though. These meetings are always fun and enjoyable it seems. At least the one I have been to at Curtis's was.

Sataro

I'm going to plan on showing up. Will be nice to put faces to some of the names on here.

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I just recently had to replace my old 15+yo Delta lunchbox planer. When it runs, it sounds like it is throwing/planing rocks...I suspect the bearings are shot. I thought that before I throw it out I'd offer it to anyone attending the meeting. Price is one handshake.:handshake::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
First one to post below that they want it, gets it and I'll bring it to the meeting Saturday.

I also have a Wagner Power Painter Plus for sale in this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom