Central Texas Meeting - June 11th

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

Huh. Was hoping that worked.

Address is

136 Woodland Ridge Dr.
Belton

This address is off Hwy 436 heading towards Little River/Academy. Approximately 3 miles from I-35.

If your GPS says it's near Belton Lake, you're in the wrong part of town.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Huh. Was hoping that worked.

Address is

136 Woodland Ridge Dr.
Belton

This address is off Hwy 436 heading towards Little River/Academy. Approximately 3 miles from I-35.

If your GPS says it's near Belton Lake, you're in the wrong part of town.
Woodland Ridge Dr. is not showing on any of my online GPS maps.

beck3906

Five years and we still have problems getting recognized on maps. :confused:

Maps will be distributed tonight.

My concern is putting this info directly on the board. However, if I don't and someone makes the decision that morning to come, they may not know how to get to the shop.

mrburls

So Rick I hear there is going to be a bridge taken out along I-35 in Austin Friday and Saturday. You hear anything about that?
Keith

flyitfast

The bridge is on the south side of Austin - about 8 miles south.
I plan to take the bypass/toll road around Austin which cuts off before the area where I-35 will be closed.
I'll check on which exit on 35 is affected.
Gordon

I just checked - it is Exit 226, Slaughter Creek overpass. It will be between 11pm and 10am. Traffic will be diverted to access roads.

beck3906

Here's 2 satellite photos to the house. You can get a good idea of how to get here between these and the posting earlier.

My cell phone number is 254-931-7802 if you need to call.

GPS systems that have not been updated lately may not have our street listed even though we've lived here 5 years.

Attachments

• Bigger View 800.jpg
    Bigger View 800.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Satellite Image to house 800.jpg
    Satellite Image to house 800.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 200

Erik831

Hi guys , I was planning a trip to SA in the next couple of weeks but news say the weather it's very bad and Sounds like everything is flooded . I know sometimes things are not as bad as they say but how is it guys? It is really that bad?

Drewboy22

Unfortunately there are several communities and families that have lost all they own. There are a few areas near SA that have been hit hard and have suffered major losses, however Houston got it a lot worse than we did.

On the bright side almost all of our lakes are full :)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Still planning on attending provided the rain chances remain low for the trip.
If anyone has any extra rattlesnake skins to sell, I'm looking for a few.

beck3906

We're in trouble over 25/30. Just not a lot of room in the shop. We can always open the roll up door and extend outside.

Bring chairs if you want to sit

beck3906

Well, to explain, lots of room but there could be a max capacity before the Fire Marshall would get involved ?

I sent PM's to so
me of you asking if you could help with a demo. If you're coming and can offer even a 15 minute demo or discussion, please let me know.

beck3906

If you're trying to decide to come, now's the time to make the decision. We're arranging a great set of demos for the day.

Eugene Soto, aka El Mostro, will demo casting and lead a discussion on casting pots, equipment, etc.

Don Ward, aka its_virgil, will demo either making a pen with colored pencils or slimline modifications...maybe both if time permits.

Mannie Steglich, aka Monty, will demo making a cheese slicer based on the last group buy.

Add in the pen and blank swap, things to buy from various folks, and food and fellowship.

What a day.

Please let me know if you're coming so we can plan food and drinks.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Anyone attending interested in a 6" Delta bench top jointer for $100. It's over 15yo but runs good. Post below if interested and I'll bring it with me.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Is it a 2 or 3 blade cutter head? Is it cast iron or sheet metal and plastic?
Can you post a picture of it?
Thanks, Keith
I believe it's a 2 blade cast iron. I'll check tomorrow and post picts tomorrow night.
It's a Delta Shopmaster, 6" variable speed, Model JT160. The date on the manual is 5/15/02. The body is sheet metal and the bed is aluminum. It has 2 blades.

002.JPG

beck3906

I'm doing a headcount for food tonight. Please post here if you haven't already that you're coming so I can plan for enough food. Thanks.

mrburls

I've been getting some things together today for the BIG EVENT Saturday.
Got lots of Cigar pen kits (only $4.00 each) and pencil kits ($6.00 each).
Lots of pen blanks, including some vintage materials.
Bottle stopper blanks and pepper mill blanks.
And who knows what else I may find. See you tomorrow.
Keith "mrburls"

beck3906

I want to thank the guys who gave our demos today. Don, Mannie, and Eugene led excellent discussions on casting, cheese slicers, snake skin blanks, pressure pots and several other topics.

Also thanks to everyone who attended as everyone offers something when we get together to discuss pen making.

And thanks to Gordon for bringing the World Trade Center pen set. Remarkable work.

Last edited:

flyitfast

I'd like to add my thanks to Rick and his wife for their efforts in making this get together a lot of fun.

Also, thanks to:

Eugene/El Mostro for his great comparisons of pressure tanks showing the benefits of each and also their weaknesses. The demo on casting filled in a lot the blanks (no pun intended!) for me on ingredients, molds, and needs for pressure.

Don/Its Virgil explained snake skin casting (not that I'm going to rush out snake hunting) - the casting and how to turn them was very helpful. Also, his demo on making colored pencil blanks was something I have been curious about for awhile. It was a pleasure to see his collection of modified slimline pens and hear his thoughts about the different techniques.

Manny/Monty helped me with my Christmas list with his demo on making cheese slicer boards. They are pretty neat and don't seem so difficult now.

Also, the chance to meet new IAP members and put a real live face with a name is great, along with the opportunity to learn and share pen turning ideas.

I won't even go into my envy of Rick's great workshop!! :biggrin:

I enjoyed being able to bring the Skiprat's World Trade Center pen set along in it's new display box.

Add to everything, the lunch that Rick's wife prepared was a real treat. Hamburgers are always a winner, but the real winner was the chocolate sweet sheet cake (try saying that 5 times fast!!) for dessert. :cake:
:bananen_smilies051:
For the price of admission all the hints and ideas were priceless.

Gordon

Last edited:

ElMostro

I had a great time. Thanks to all who attended. Especially to Rick for hosting, and to his wife who baked an INCREDIBLE chocolate cake. It was one of those cakes that you need to sit down with a half gallon of milk to enjoy it. It was a REALLY, REALLY good cake! But I digress... anyway, thanks to all who attended. I had a splendid time and it was nice to put faces to names.

Eugene.

its_virgil

I too enjoyed the time and the demos. It is always good to see Eugene's incredible blanks and his new stuff. The food was excellent and as Eugene mentioned, the cake was really great: Texas sheet cake if I recall the name correctly. Cheese slicers will likely be going to my family as Christmas gifts also. Thanks Monty.

Thanks to Rick for hosting the meeting and yes, he has an incredible workshop.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom