Central Texas Meeting Feb 8th, 2014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I'm starting a final thread with the date in the title. I will PM everyone who made an entry in any other thread on in the thread from last June and reference this thread so everyone knows where we're beginning to plan the meeting.

Date
February 8th

Where
My shop in Belton (just off I-35 near the I-35/190 split to Killeen)

Time
Let's plan on starting about 9:15-9:30 and go until maybe 4:00-ish.

If everyone agrees, we'll plan on providing the food and drinks....you bring $ 5.00 for the cost.

Tentative list of subjects.....

Finishing Techniques - Discuss CA finishes, wax finishes, WTF, others

Back to the Basics - Discussion on blank prep, drilling, gluing, need for rounding corners, etc. We can have a tool demo as I have several drilling methods we can demo and maybe let folks try out, i.e. Huffman vise, Pen Pro jaws, etc. Maybe include milling/sanding the tube ends.

Didn't get to it last time, but maybe get the Speed Turning competition

Bring you pens for Show and Tell

Bring you swap goodies or things you just want to sell

Bring a blank for a blank Swap.

Offer other thoughts for demos. We'll look for other subjects from what we covered in June unless there are several folks who didn't make the June meeting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I just sent PM's to everyone on the last threads along with those who were in the June threads linking to this thread. Anyone know how to use this "Zip-it" feature?

ironman123

Rick, sounds like you got a good plan. As far as I can tell right now, I will be there. All I see on my schedule between now and then is paying bills, buying gas and groceries, wrapping Christmas presents for kids, Grandkids and Great Grandkids, Christmas and New Years with a little pen turning in between.

By the way Rick. You and your family have a very joyous holiday season and the start of a new and prosperous year.

Ray

flyitfast

Thanks Rick for putting this together. Put me down for being there. I'll see if any of our group wants to tag along.
Have a Merry Christmas and we'll see you next year!

gordon

flyitfast

Rick,
Demo thoughts:
- Basics of componentless pens
- Finishes beyond CA
- Turning & finishing between centers
- Modified slim-line pen options
- Basic segmenting
- New lathe tools and accessories for pen turning
- Basics of casting and stabilizing
- Tuning, changing, and Fountain Pen nibs
- Closed end pen turning
- Applying and sealing decals
- Basic photographing pens

I'm sure there are a lot of other better needs that folks have, but this is my bucket list!! :eek::biggrin:
Thanks
gordon

ironman123

Rick, I had planned on coming but the SWMBO has scheduled us for a Great Grand Daughter's birthday in Sulpher Springs on that date.:cake:

Sounds like it will be a very interesting and informative meet.

Hopefully the next one.

Ray

beck3906

Ray, you'll be missed. Maybe I'll plan something for July or August.

Looks like maybe 4 names. Sure would like to have more, but we can definitely have a great time with however many come.

BarryM

I enjoyed the meeting in June. I would love to come again. Thanks for including me in your post. As of this moment I am coming.....there is currently nothing keeping me from coming.

As for demos??? I will enjoy any of those listed. Closed end and kitless sounds good.

If Seamus comes please bring me some of your tanned snake skins....I would like to try my hand at casting them....All I can find is dried out skins.

See you then.
Barry Moseley

flyitfast

Rich,
As a followup and to "bump" this thread, I am definitely planning to come and have a couple from our Alamo Penturners chapter that will probably join me.
I know you said you would take care of food, but if I/we can bring anything, let me know - sodas, chips, etc.
See you then. I assume you still live at the same address you gave out for last summer's get together?
gordon

seamus7227

I was planning on coming this go-around, however, an unexpected trip came up to go to Vegas in April, and a wedding sometime in summer or fall in Tucson so that is making things a little tight on the old budget. Not sure this is gonna work for this meeting. Im very sorry

beck3906

Starting to need a head count so I can plan for food. Will need to know those expecting to attend in 2 weeks so we can buy things.

Anyone want to offer themselves for a demo?

We may have general demos and hand-on time with tools and such.

I'll work on a segmenting class so everyone can maybe take something home.

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Don't think I'll be able to make it this time. I doubt I'll be through with the kitchen remodel by then (and I do like to eat).

Whitehat1994

Greeting,

I'm interested in wood turning.
Can you explain what your chapter provides it's members?

Thank you,
Richard
Temple, Tx

beck3906

Greeting,

Thank you,
Richard
Temple, Tx

The idea of chapters within IAP designates an area where folks can have a reasonable ability to group together. The Central Texas area generally extends toward DFW, east toward Houston, and south toward San Antonio. Our purpose to to hold gatherings or meetings where we can exchange ideas and thoughts.

Some chapters have formal rules, ours doesn't. We send out invitations and have folks from a broad area attend. Our last meeting had several folks come up from Houston, San Antonio, and even Witchita Falls.

What we hope to offer is an opportunity for those attending to gain ideas on how to make their pen turning better.

Look over the subjects we may be covering. We can sometimes jump-start your skills by watching what others do. We can give you inspiration on how to take your pen turning to another level. We'll definitely have you leaving thinking of new ways to make a pen.

Come on down if you're available Feb 8th. My shop is just 3 miles off the 190 split from I-35.

Last edited:

beck3906

I'm thinking about having an open shop time where we have a session called "Bring our questions". The idea would be to open the shop to allow you to present a question and we look for a way to solve it. We cannot go into great detail about a subject like "How do I cast this?" Or "How do I cast a snake skin blank?". But we can show common skills that you may be struggling with.

We'll also have a demo on how to turn acrylics as some new folks sometimes struggle with this.

Whitehat1994

Greeting,

Thank you,
Richard
Temple, Tx

The idea of chapters within IAP designates an area where folks can have a reasonable ability to group together. The Central Texas area generally extends toward DFW, east toward Houston, and south toward San Antonio. Our purpose to to hold gatherings or meetings where we can exchange ideas and thoughts.

Some chapters have formal rules, ours doesn't. We send out invitations and have folks from a broad area attend. Our last meeting had several folks come up from Houston, San Antonio, and even Witchita Falls.

What we hope to offer is an opportunity for those attending to gain ideas on how to make their pen turning better.

Look over the subjects we may be covering. We can sometimes jump-start your skills by watching what others do. We can give you inspiration on how to take your pen turning to another level. We'll definitely have you leaving thinking of new ways to make a pen.

Come on down if you're available Feb 8th. My shop is just 3 miles off the 190 split from I-35.

How would I recognize your shop? Feb 8 is my daughter's birthday. If I have some time I would love to attend.

HeartofaPen

Rick,

I am going to try and make it again this time. Put me down as a possible.

If anyone else in the Houston area wants to go they can contact me and we can meet at my place. I am just off 290 just inside the Harris county line.

Chris Jones

beck3906

Well, things aren't looking too good for me right now. I just returned from a doctor's visit because of a back injury this week. I was moving a cabinet into position and pulled my back causing me some rather severe pains the last couple of days.

The cabinet was 4 ft wide by 7 ft tall and built to hold plastic tubs I use for storing pens and things for shows. My son was helping but I wasn't following proper lifting procedures and ended up with a strained back.

Bottom line is that I haven't been able to get to work on cleaning the shop and don't expect to soon.

I know everyone has made plans for Feb 8th but I don't think I can have things ready by then. I'm afraid I need to ask for a delay.

I would offer March 15th as a new date. I'll suggest this date but entertain other dates if it's better for most folks.

Again, I truly apologize for this but I'm not sure I could host this in the manner it should be.

flyitfast

Rick, sorry to hear of your injury and hope it heals soon.
I pulled a hamstring a couple of weeks ago - lifting the wrong way so I can feel some of your pain.
Take easy and get lots of rest.
I had to backout for the 8th due to something unavoidable here, so now (not at your expense, tho'!) I look forward to the visit in the future. Mar 15 works for me, if you are up to it by then.
Get better - it is hard to turn flat on your back!!
gordon

mrburls

Hi Rick, Sorry to hear about your back pain. I know from experience it's no fun. Maybe if you don't get to the meeting until May I should be back from Pa. and I can bring lots of burl blanks to sell. I pretty much have stopped using wood and only turn resin now a days and decided when I get back to San Antonio I'm going to put all my burled blanks up for sale. Even the ones I've hiding away for those special pens.
Get well soon
Keith "mrburls"

ironman123

Rick, take care of that back. I had to cancel out on the Feb 8th you know. Will sure try to make a later date one.

Don't try to rush into doing anything. Lay low. Take it easy man.

Ray

Whitehat1994

Question/demonstration to bring to gathering, how to sharpen pen turning tools.
I bought a used shopsmith and some tools came along with it.
The set of five consists of:
  • 1" Wide Gouge for roughing-in large turnings and cutting large coves in both spindle and faceplate projects
  • 3/8" Gouge for roughing-in smaller turnings and cutting tighter coves
  • 1" Wide x 1/4" Thick Skew with a straight, slanted edge and a sharp point for shaping straight profiles, forming beads and getting into tight areas on spindles, bowls and more
  • 1/2" Wide Roundnose for cove work on both spindles and faceplate turnings
  • 1/8" Thick x 1/2" Wide Parting Tool with a pointed tip for grooving, cutting shoulders, sizing and separating the finished workpiece from the scrap.
How do I sharpen these? which one is the best one for pen turning? I turned two blanks using the 3/8" gouge because the 1" skew was too big and I was afraid to use the 1/2" roundnose.
I played briefly with sharpening on my bench grinder and stopped because I have no idea what I am doing and do not want to damage the tools.

Thank You,
Hope you back heals quickly.

wcolor

Meeting

I would be very intrested...Just moved here from San Angelo a few months ago...Also I a lot of supplies I need to sell (many things, not just pen parts. To reach me by phone 254 2395224...

Top Bottom