Center Band Shortening on Jrs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

For those of you that have done this I need a little help. I have seen the Jr. Gent where some of you have removed two of the center bands. What I am wanting to do is the same with a Jr. Statesman. Could someone take a minute or two to give me tips on removing these? That darn black sleeve drives me nuts trying to figure this out without damaging it.

Now once I get these removed it will make the cap about 1/4" shorter if I use a standard tube. Will this look a little funny being shorter or is there a trick for making the blank longer such as two tubes?

Thanks to all who respond.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwilki

Mike
I can't speak to the centre band question, but as to the length of the cap, you need to be careful that the nib doesn't bottom out on the end of the cap. I've shortened centre bands on a few kits, and I lengthen the blank to compensate. I don't bother finding longer tubes. I just cut the cap tube in two pieces and insert the pieces from each end. There is a gap between them, but it's not in a place where anything presses into it.

marcruby

It wasn't the answer to your question anyway -- Sorry. Basically you drill a hole in a piece of plexi and gently hammer the ring loose from the other end. It's a bit of a pain.

Marc

IPD_Mrs

Marc, you were thinking the same way I was. Someone posted a how to on removing one or two bands on a Jr. Gent. At the time I thought that is a great idea I will have to remember that and tucked it in my head. Problem is when I tuck something in that black hole I call a head, it seems to have faded into nothingness.

Grant, you said basically what I had thought of doing, but I was going to use two shortened tubes, but your idea of one cut in half would be lighter and for that matter the tube really only needs to be 5/8" long on either end.

Mike

jskeen

Seems like a shame to remove the center band on a jr statesman. You might try substuting the center band/coupler kit from a jr gent kit to remove the plain centerband then you would be able to make a frankenpen with the rest of the jr gent kit and the fancier statesman centerband assy. Just an Idea, worth every cent paid for it.

vick

Does not really help you, but I mostly have seen remove the bands from Baron's not Jr Gents. The way the Baron's are make the extra rings are loose so you can just press the coupler in without them if you want.

ldb2000

Hi Mike
I'm wondering why you would want to take out the gold or black TN part of the jr statesman , I think thats what sets the jr statesman apart from the jr gent . Why not just use a jr gent instead and modify it , it's also several dollars cheaper then the jr statesman ?

IPD_Mrs

I cannot use the Rhodium Jr Gent as any gold in the would look way out of place. I can remove the finial on the cap but would have a problem coming up with something to compliment the pen. With the Jr States in black titanium I will have the black titanium finials on both ends which will go well with this and I will have the nicer clip.

I removed two of the center bands last night with no problem. I forgot the stupid black sleeve is so loose. Need to glue that puppy down before I assemble. :rolleyes:

Once I get this turned I will post it here and you will see why I am using the Jr Statesman.:biggrin:

Mike

rherrell

I cannot use the Rhodium Jr Gent as any gold in the would look way out of place. I can remove the finial on the cap but would have a problem coming up with something to compliment the pen. With the Jr States in black titanium I will have the black titanium finials on both ends which will go well with this and I will have the nicer clip.

I removed two of the center bands last night with no problem. I forgot the stupid black sleeve is so loose. Need to glue that puppy down before I assemble. :rolleyes:

Once I get this turned I will post it here and you will see why I am using the Jr Statesman.:biggrin:

Mike

Mike, I believe that black sleeve is made out of Delrin so glue won't do you any good. If you're having trouble with them coming loose try putting a small dimple in the tube, right above the end of the black sleeve, before you glue the tube in.

IPD_Mrs

Mike, I believe that black sleeve is made out of Delrin so glue won't do you any good. If you're having trouble with them coming loose try putting a small dimple in the tube, right above the end of the black sleeve, before you glue the tube in.

Oh I wasn't going to use glue per say. I was going to have Linda spit on it. Mommy spit works on anything. :eek: It also works as a good cleaner for kid's dirty faces! :mad-tongue:

IPD_Mrs

Well here is "Frankenpen" as Jeff so eloquently put it. I think you can now understand why I wanted to remove the decorative band on the Jr. Statesman. This way it still has the decorative finials. The waves are done with strips of aluminum and construction paper.

pwavea.jpg

pwaveb.jpg

pwavec.jpg

jskeen

Ok, I now see why you did what you did, and I LIKE IT!

If the bands didn't get messed up in the extraction, and you don't have any use for them, I would be interested in trading you out of them, or something. Drop me a PM.

James

IPD_Mrs

James,
The bands are in perfect shape but I think I will save them for a future project I have in mind.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Mike

IPD_Mrs

Really great job! The design holds together beatifully. My next question is if you did the waves and would you mind explaining how?

Marc

Yes we did the waves. The information on how to do a wave successfully, was entrusted to us by Eagle. One of his main beliefs was that you always try to figure it out rather than have it handed to you. If you asked for a tutorial you got a tongue lashing that only an old sailor could comprehend. :biggrin:

However if you shared with him what you were doing and how you were approaching it he would give you hints along the way. Let us know when you get started! :)

Mike & Linda

Last edited:

IPD_Mrs

Thanks Keith, that was African Black wood which was too brown for my taste. When we bought the wood it looked pretty dark until I cut into the block. I need to find a source for some really dark almost black ebony or African black wood.

Top Bottom