Celtic knot infill vs kerf of blade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Over past weeks have been working using std kerf blade.105 with .0958 infill as shown on the completed pen on the left. So now I wanted to use a .130 insert with the same .105 kerf blade. Most every one said it would not work.
Here is my results as shown on the finished blank on the right.
How did it happen, used a two cuts on the blank each time. first cut was at kerf .105 , second cuts was with added spacer of.018. What happen was the blank was fooled and has a cut equal to what is needed for a glue in insert of.130. noted blank was not cut through.

Down side of this with using thicker infill you can loose the diamonds .

Attachments

• IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 285

jttheclockman

Over past weeks have been working using std kerf blade.105 with .0958 infill as shown on the completed pen on the left. So now I wanted to use a .130 insert with the same .105 kerf blade. Most every one said it would not work.
Here is my results as shown on the finished blank on the right.
How did it happen, used a two cuts on the blank each time. first cut was at kerf .105 , second cuts was with added spacer of.018. What happen was the blank was fooled and has a cut equal to what is needed for a glue in insert of.130. noted blank was not cut through.

Down side of this with using thicker infill you can loose the diamonds .
Charlie I hate to tell you it still did not work and it won't. What you did is matched the kerf to the infill as opposed to matching the infill to the kerf. Same thing only said different. What we said was if you cut all the way through the blank the infill still needs to match the kerf. This is where people including myself became incorrectly informed. I did not think it needed to but it was proven that it does. If you are not going to cut all the way through then no matter what size you make the kerf you still need to match the infill or you will either have gaps or blow out the sides of the blank. I will agree with you if you keep the angle of the cuts the same and increase the kerf and infill material you loose more and more of the diamond pattern. Now take that same example of yours and increase the angle to say 60 degree then that material may not look so out of place and become a normal knot again. Maybe if anything you helped yourself see what we were talking about now.

By the way love the pen on the left. Nice job with the choices.

Top Bottom