Celluloid!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

This was an order I finished this weekend. It is an octagonal fountain pen in a now-unavailable tortoise shell celluloid (the real stuff, not the more common cellulose acetate) I purchased from American Art Plastics before they became defunct. This is a rather chunky pen, with 14mm by 2mm pitch double start cap threads, needed to accommodate the customers bock #8 nib, which is a triple-broad, clocking in at around $300. From nib to end, the pen is around 5", and capped around 5.25". I cast the bronze clip, and the clip ring is faceted to match the cap. I'd been sitting on this material for several years, and was glad to finally have the opportunity to use some of it. It is quite unique, and has a very pungent camphor smell when turned.
4085030D-83F6-4401-8BF8-E0E1E1069D5D.jpeg
308C1D25-FDFC-4679-8E68-E8C6BA13CA7D.jpeg
62DC99D1-EA99-4D9A-BFC1-BA5C6B528B26.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

What a beauty !!

I try to imagine how you polish the facets without any noticeable rounding !!

Great work !!

jalbert

What a beauty !!

I try to imagine how you polish the facets without any noticeable rounding !!

Great work !!
Hand sand to 3000 grit, then buff with white diamond on a lathe mounted buff. This stuff burns almost effortlessly, so I have to forego my usual buffing machine and opt for a slow speed buff in the lathe.

magpens

Hand sand to 3000 grit, then buff with white diamond on a lathe mounted buff. This stuff burns almost effortlessly, so I have to forego my usual buffing machine and opt for a slow speed buff in the lathe.

Thanks for quick reply, John. . I think I get it !!

Strangely, not 5 minutes before seeing your thread above I was contemplating the use of some very translucent blanks ..... not as transparent as your celluloid but much more translucent than I have ever worked before. . Might give it a try soon, but not going to mill to octagonal.

Top Bottom