Cedar - collection & sawing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turner.curtis

Hey guys -

Thought that I would post and ask a few questions on the collection of Cedar. My parents live in SC and there are numerous Cedar trees on their property. There are 3 that were struck by lightning and bugs that have died and we have left there for the last few years. They have all turned lighter on the outside which I asserted meant the tress were drying upright. Well over this Christmas break, I pulled the saw out of the barn and cut a limb about 12" in diameter and then took that to the bandsaw and chopped to 2ft lengths of whole limb. The wood cut easily and seemed dry, although after treking them back to PA they have all seemed to start splitting even with sealer on the cut ends.

So my questions are was it bad to leave the trees standing for drying? Should I have my dad cut and drop to the ground? I was more worried about rot sitting them in the sand and dirt.

Is this normal with cedar? what should I have done differently?

and finally now that these chunks are splitting, should I go ahead and saw them in to blanks and drop in hardner or plexitone? It will suck to loose the natural aromatic scent but I want to try to save some of this stuff it is quite pretty in some of the cut areas.

Last edited:

JD Combs Sr

I am not a wood expert but I can advise you that Cedar cracks if you look at it cross eyed dry or not. It is just one of those woods that is hard to store w/o checking and cracking.

Top Bottom