CCC WINNERS!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The time has come.
We can't delay any longer.
Only two teams out of seven were able to go the distance and complete pens within the allotted time frame to enter into this competition. They are both awesome pens. I don't know if anyone on this forum who wouldn't be happy to own either one of them.

And the first place winner is...................................

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

Finishing in 1st place is the masterpiece created by Team Scuttlebutt (team 2)​

Bob Dupras (BSea)
Matthew Garrison (Katsin)
John Walsh (Walshjp17)

Each of these artists will receive $55.00 worth of Craft Coat courtesy of Michael Hardin (CrashMPH) and a Certificate from the IAP!

Here is the team's complete description that was submitted with the entry.

Team Scuttlebutt (aka Team 2) has submitted a unique desk set pen for the 2014 Bash CCC. The idea was to create a desk set pen that if one were to look at it, it would not immediately be recognized as a pen. The pen in this case is an interpretation of a 18th century naval cannon sitting on a gun carriage on the deck of a frigate. The outer ring of the base, the gun carriage and the ammunition box are made from walnut while decking material is bass wood planking from a model ship. The cannon is PR and is on a modified Senior Gent kit.

BSea (Bob Dupras) poured the PR, made the base, gun carriage, ammunition box and cannon balls and added the fine details as well as took the photographs.
Katsin (Scott Garrison) turned the front end of the cannon and did the research on the cannon used as an inspiration.
walshjp17 (John Walsh) turned the cannon's back end and fitted and modified the pen kit parts.

Through many conference calls, emails and texts, Team Scuttlebutt discussed several options and decided that the desk set pen was the best way to project the ideas that we came up with. We had a blast during this project.

Congratulations Bob, Scott and John!

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 393

mbroberg

Of course that leaves us with this offering as our Runner-Up! I do feel somewhat bad because the photos do not really do this pen justice. It is beautifully designed and crafted.

This pen was entered by Team 3

Vic Vickers (Mr Vic)
Dan Mullen (teamtexas)
Don Vann (vanngo5d)

Here is the complete description that was submitted with the pen.

"Enclosed is our submission for the 2014 Bash Collaborative Contest. The Dolphins on the body are cast from Aluminum and the clip is silver. Both were created by Dan Mullins. The dolphins were attached to the tubes and the casting was done by Don Vann. I (Vic Vickers) had the honors to turn and assemble the pens. Yes pens, we actually did four and picked the best to submit. Each of us will get to keep one of the others."

Each member of this team will receive a Box of Blanks valued at $25.00 donated by Sarah Dieterle (DWulf) and Kent Wilson (reddwil)

Congratulations Vic, Dan and Don!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

toddlajoie

Excellent pens, and both winners either way. I had a very difficult time deciding which to vote for (and I'm not saying which devil on the shoulder won out...), as each had unique advantages and were so different in their skill sets utilized and approach to the contest.

I thought I had an idea of a few of the people involved in both pens, but I was 100% incorrect!!! An excellent effort by all involved.

edstreet

This appears to be a Carronade cannons, which 18th and 19th century would be more fitting. It was a short range (read 100 yard) smooth bore cannon used against troops and ships; mostly found on lighter smaller ships who were drafted on their quarter decks. Ball sizes ranged from 5 pounds to 70 pounds.

e_msgunnavsb1.jpg

Last edited:

Dale Lynch

Congradulations fellas for rising to the challenge.I want both of those for my desk.One to look at and one to use.Beautiful pens.

Mr Vic

We're Winner's

I'd like to thank my two Team Mates Dan & Don...or was it Don and Dan? It was a great project.

As can be evidenced by the completion rate of the entries, getting tossed together with folks you have never met and then comming up not only with an idea but actually implementing it is an awesome challenge and accomplishment.

Here are a few (not so great) photos from the process. You'll note there are four sets of tube and in the end four pens... I sent in the best of four. Two more will be going out to my team mates Don and Dan.

Thanks also go out to our prize donators Sarah Dieterle (DWulf) and Kent Wilson (reddwil). And of course we can't forget Mike and Jeff - Thanks..

So where's the link for the 2015 CCC signup???:cool:

Attachments

• CCC_2014_Team3_IP02.jpg
    CCC_2014_Team3_IP02.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 244
  • CCC_2014_Team3_IP03.jpg
    CCC_2014_Team3_IP03.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 257
  • CCC_2014_Team3_IP04.jpg
    CCC_2014_Team3_IP04.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 211
  • CCC_2014_Team3_IP08.jpg
    CCC_2014_Team3_IP08.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 244
  • CCC_2014_Team3_IP09.jpg
    CCC_2014_Team3_IP09.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 255
I'd like to thank my two Team Mates Dan & Don...or was it Don and Dan? It was a great project.

As can be evidenced by the completion rate of the entries, getting tossed together with folks you have never met and then comming up not only with an idea but actually implementing it is an awesome challenge and accomplishment.

Here are a few (not so great) photos from the process. You'll note there are four sets of tube and in the end four pens... I sent in the best of four. Two more will be going out to my team mates Don and Dan.

Thanks also go out to our prize donators Sarah Dieterle (DWulf) and Kent Wilson (reddwil). And of course we can't forget Mike and Jeff - Thanks..

Those look like some really nice souvenirs!

Congratulations to both teams.

Katsin

I'd like to extend a big thank you to Bob and John. I definitely felt that the Collaborative Creative Challenge was a good bash event to challenge yourself to learn something new and it did not disappoint. I was definitely the junior member in terms of experience and with Bob and John's help I learned a lot about collet chucking and turning between centers.

Michael B., thanks for overseeing the event. With all of the bash activities I know you have your hands very full. I hope the IAP can do something great with the pens (more charity auctions perhaps?).

Michael H. (CrashMPH), thank you very much for offering a prize to the IAP for this event. I've demonstrated pen making a bit for my local woodturning club and already come across a few folks sensitive to CA so I value being able to suggest CA alternatives to them. I really look forward to trying it. As you live in Virgina, maybe you will be at the MAPG and I can thank you in person (I was born and raised in VA before moving to Jersey).

Tom T

Great team work. Winners all the way around. Canon is incredible, first to think it up and then all the work to all the detail.

Dale Lynch

Awesome herd,or whatever it is they call a group of dolphins.

BSea

This was a really fun project (at least looking back it was :rolleyes:). I have no idea how long we talked on the phone over the 1st 45 days or so kicking around ideas. But we came up with a ton of ideas. Some good, some not so good. We did small prototypes, sketches (Ok, Scott did the sketches), and basically just brainstormed ideas before settling on the cannon. To me that part was the most interesting time of the project.

Scott and John were great to work with, and I feel like the time spent was worthwhile just for the friendship we developed.

I'd also like to thank CrashMPH for his prize donation. As someone with a real CA allergy problem, I'm looking forward to working with the finish.

And thanks to Mike Broberg, and everyone involved with the Bash. We had the easy part. We were finished in December, You guys and gals have been working all year to make this a great Bash.

And to Vic, Dan, and Don. I love that pen. As a diver, that pen really jumped off the page at me. And I'm with Vic, where's the 2015 sign up sheet?

Oh and Spanx, a group of dolphins is called a pod.:)

walshjp17

I'll have to agree with Bob (BSea) that this was one of the most exciting long-distance projects I have ever worked on -- in or out of the pen making arena.

I have to give a big-ol' tip of the hat to Scott and Bob putting up with my turning issues and constant re-dos. To say this was challenging is an understatement.

I also want to thank Bob for his wonderful woodworking skills and his flawless interpretation of the gun cradle I saw in Sweden last summer. And, if it wasn't for Scott finding the inspiration cannon, there's no telling what we would have come up with.

Many thanks to Mike Hardin (CrashMPH) for the prize donation. I have been following his thread in the Market Research forum and and am eagerly anticipating working with CC.

Also kudos to Mike Broberg and the entire Bash team for an excellent contest.

As Bob noted, we faced a challenge from a very talented team of pen crafters and we feel honored to have competed with them. I sincerely hope we'll get a chance to see Vic, Dan and Don's exquisite pen at either the MPG or MAPG.

Top Bottom