Casting things that float

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spnemo

When casting things that float (coffee beans, pinecones, pasta, etc.) how do you keep them evenly distributed through the resin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

Pack the mold full of what you are casting and then pour your resin.

Beware!! This is very very messy!

Since your things want to rise, place some wax paper over your mold and then place a board or something over the mold so that it pushes the casting back down in the mold....This is where it gets messy because for sure you will get resin that overflows the mold!:eek:

But....It works!

Chasper

Holding it down does the job, but I find that I have to pack it in too tightly to be able to use the hold down method. If it isn't packed tight, then it floats up to the wax paper or screen that is holding it down.

I pour in layers, sometimes 8-10 layers. Mix enough resin and color (no MEPK yet) for the entire pour. Measure out just a little and add the MEPK, pour a layer 1/8 inch or so thick, sprinkle in the coffee beans, spice, pasta, rice, corn, whatever, give it a while to cure partially (I put it in front of a small heater), repeat, repeat, repeat until the molds are full.

Last edited:

biednick

I did my first 4 casts today, and 1 was oats in aluminite. I mixed the oats and color into part a added part b, poured into the mold and 20 min. later pulled out my 3rd cast pen blank. It foamed up on the top but still appears solid in the rest of the blank.

Top Bottom