Casting Supply and thinning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rizaydog

Ok, I have never cast before. I have been reading all the posts and decided it's time to try.

I have decided to try PR resin. Any recomendations on brands, and best place to buy online?

Also, is there anyway to this this down at all? I need something really thin for a project I have been planning.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Ok, I have never cast before. I have been reading all the posts and decided it's time to try.

I have decided to try PR resin. Any recomendations on brands, and best place to buy online?

Also, is there anyway to this this down at all? I need something really thin for a project I have been planning.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I'm not the best source of information since I haven't been casting long (although, my house smells like a plastic factory), but I use silmar41 pr resin from US Composites. I buy it by the gallon. You can also get smaller quantities of casting resin from Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

If you haven't done so already, go to the library, and read anything & everything on casting.

PTownSubbie

The resin gets very 'thin' as it gets heated. Just do a hot water bath and the resin turns from a gel to running like water....

I think this is what you are looking for. However, keep in mind the thinner the material the more MEKP you will need to use in order for it to cure correctly.....

DozerMite

Banned
The resin gets very 'thin' as it gets heated. Just do a hot water bath and the resin turns from a gel to running like water....

I think this is what you are looking for. However, keep in mind the thinner the material the more MEKP you will need to use in order for it to cure correctly.....

Turns from gel? Mine is already water consistancey and if it's gel like, it is either cold or old.

Thinner resin needs more catalyst? Actually the opposite is true when warming the resin. It crosslinks and cures by heat. If more catalyst were added to warmed resin, it would gel before getting it in the mold.

This is all just hear-say though.

PTownSubbie

DozerMite said:
Turns from gel? Mine is already water consistancey and if it's gel like, it is either cold or old.

Thinner resin needs more catalyst? Actually the opposite is true when warming the resin. It crosslinks and cures by heat. If more catalyst were added to warmed resin, it would gel before getting it in the mold.

This is all just hear-say though.

We didn't sync well....

Gel like when cold and water like when heated is correct and what was intended.....

The thin I was talking about is thin in pour thickness not thin in consistency....the thinner the thickness of the pour, the more MEKP is required....

Last edited:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Well! You confused the crap out of me!! Of course, that doesn't take much!! :laugh::laugh: Fred, I love your molds. Got in another gal of S41 today! :biggrin::biggrin: I figure that should put me about halfway between here and kitless:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gotcha Fred! Now we are in sync.:wink:

We both had the right answers even though they were totally different.....Thats because we were talking about different things....LOL!:eek:

Top Bottom