Casting Self Stick Stamps?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I am trying to embed self stick stamps. I seal the stamps with CA before casting under pressure. I am not having much success with this. The stamps turn translucent and you can see the stamps underneath. No problems with bubbles. I have thought about scanning the stamps and then photo-shopping a collage onto a label and sticking that on the pen tube before casting.

Has anyone done this successfully?

I tried the "stick to a blank and then CA to seal (no casting)", but I didn't like the result.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

I am trying to embed self stick stamps. I seal the stamps with CA before casting under pressure. I am not having much success with this. The stamps turn translucent and you can see the stamps underneath. No problems with bubbles. I have thought about scanning the stamps and then photo-shopping a collage onto a label and sticking that on the pen tube before casting.

Has anyone done this successfully?

I tried the "stick to a blank and then CA to seal (no casting)", but I didn't like the result.

Randy, Just waundering...Now when you seal the stamps with CA before you cast how does it look. Is there any wetting then if not I think what mite be happening is when you go under pressure the resin is finding it's way in. It doesn't take much most likely through the ends of the blank. If your stamps look good after a GOOD CA coat (I do 2 coats of medium) and make sure your ends are sealed. Easiest way is put a small puddle of CA on a piece of plastic and dab the ends of blank in it. After dry carefully trim the inside of your tube so you can get a good seal when you cast.

Hope I gave you some ideas.
Good Luck
Bruce

seamus7227

I only have one thing to add to what Bruce said, use thin CA so that it will soak in to the stamps,(one or two thin coats), then use medium over that. I have found that the thin ca will get into more areas without making covered air pockets and has eliminated the "transparent look" that you speak of. And with all of that said, I will say this, try to keep the lighter colored stamps below the darker colored ones. That too will prevent the transparency look if the CA method doesn't work for you. Hope this helps

alxe24

I'd recently casted a few stamp tubes and used mod podge to seal them and they came up pretty good. Did not tried the ca to comment on the.
As far as the collage, I would use the real deal. I did one of these collages and printed the paper to glue to the tubes, and although it does not look bad you can tell from a mile away it came out of a printer. The real deal will look... Real.

JohnU

Try spray painting the tube white before you put the stamps on. It will stop the brass glow from showing through the stamps.

pensbydesign

Try spray painting the tube white before you put the stamps on. It will stop the brass glow from showing through the stamps.

white tube is a must, the brass tube always cause problems with me. if your just a little of with seam the white doesn't show it and ghosting thru the stamp sometimes can happen if the stamp is thin.

Top Bottom